No power light on SWG

Mar 29, 2012
I've seen similar posts, but I'm not sure I've seen this specific problem. <Disclaimer: This is our first pool at a house we just bought in Aug. The pool, like the house, was neglected. That along with our lack of pool knowledge led to our current state.> Our Aquarite SWG isn't generating chlorine. The FC level on the strip is white....0 The salt level got down to 1900 ppm. We added 160 lbs salt and a it is now at a healthy level...3200.(ideal per the manual). The stabilizer/Cyanuric acid level was low and added 4 lbs to get that to around 80. The pH and alkalinity was high and added 1 pint of muriatic acid to reduce to a good range... 7.6. We had the salt cell tested and the test was good. When power is applied to the SWG the no flow light flashes for about 20 secs(normal, I think) then goes out. The GENERATING light comes on steady for 10 secs, then goes out...(not normal). No power light ever. The Diagnostic display readings show:
Cell Voltage: 10.3
Cell Current: 0
Instant salinity: 0
I have seen other posts about replacing the black quarter sized resistor on the panel. We ordered a couple to give it a shot. From what I read in the manual, if the system senses there is not enough salt, it will shut down. That was the case until we added the appropriate amount of salt, but it still doesn't want to stay on and generating chlorine. According to the manual, when the POWER light is illuminated the Aqua Rite has input power. The power light is not on but there is obviously some power to the unit. (i.e. flashing flow light, momentary generating light, diagnostic display). Incidentally, we cleaned out the filter and for the most part, the pool LOOKS clean/clear. I know as it gets warmer and with no chlorine it may not be that way for long. I'm a rookie with the system, so if anyone has had any kind of similar experience or any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. We've considered a service call, but thought we would do some homework first. Thanks in advance.

The unit can shut down if the water is too cold. Also, if the percentage setting is lower than 100% it won't always want to be on, though it should turn on now and then.

Until you get the SWG straightened out, you need to add chlorine manually.

The water temp is about 70 degrees. Not warm, but not cold either. The manual seems to say it willl not generate in colder temps, but I thought I remembered seeing 50 degrees. I just talked to my neighbor and he mentioned that his old salt generator didn't produce chlorine in the winter. I hope that is the case with ours. This is all new to me. Other posts seem to imply there must be a problem if the power light was not illuminated. Do you think it should be producing at 70 degrees? Thanks again. I'll try increasing the desired output % tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.