Should I replace my liner?

Jun 4, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I had a small disaster yesterday. and I may used wrong terminology so bare with me. It was really windy and the pool cover blew off ripping off the one of the parts that connect the trim at the top of the pool,which in turn ripped the support/column out of the base plate holding it against the pool. The base plate is totally destroyed. The top of the pool that holds the liner in place popped up and about 2 feet of liner came loose. I had a full on panic attack. The pool had evaporated so far down that I only have about 2 feet of water in it. I called the place I bought the pool and the parts that are broken are covered under waranty but not labor. So I will get that fixed and they can put liner back in place. My question is should I replace liner? I had to repair two small holes in in last year that were underwater and a lot of sand washed out when the pool started to leak. There are big dips where the holes were and I wonder if I will end up with holes again. Since pool water level is so low I was trying to decide what to do next. And from the research I have done getting a liner replaced is really expensive, and looks to hard to do on my own. Any advice for a total novice like me is much appreciated.

Above ground pool liners are far less expensive than in-ground pool liners. Make sure you are looking at the right type of liner for your pool. Many folks here have replaced their own liners and you can use the google search at the bottom left of the page to search for diy above ground liner replacement.
If you go ahead and replace the liner you can make repairs to the bottom. Do you know what caused the holes? You may want to try a padded floor like gorilla bottom and foam cove instead of just sand.

From what you describe, replacing the liner now might be a good idea, but isn't required. If you are fully draining the pool, which you might have to do anyway to repair the damage you describe, replacing the liner is not that much additional work and not too expensive. Above ground liners are easier to replace than in-ground liners.

The liner is 10 years old and we let it sit uncared for for 3 seasons because we moved and then moved back. I have no clue what caused the holes. I am afraid that in the areas where the sand has eroded and the liner is stretching will become to weak and just pop. I would hate to get the pool in working order after we fix the "upright issue" thats what pool guy called it, and then have to start all over because of pool liner! That is another reason I though about relpacing liner. So we can make sure the ground is still in good shape and make sure it doesn't happen again. I guess I just don't know the best thing to do.

So I decided to have liner replaced....boy is that expensive! I have liner and new skimmer and am waiting for call from installers to schedule appointment. The service department said the liner installers should be able to replace my bottom plate that broke free from pool with little difficulty. (famous last words) I have two questions
1. How do I get water all the way out of my pool. I am using the hose siphon method now but I know that won't drain it totally. and 2. I have let grass grow all the way up to pool walls for 7 years, I am fixing that now. what is the cheapest and easiest way to keep grass away from pool?

Thanks!

The best way to drain it completely is a pump or, after its siphoned as much as you can, just cut a hole in the bottom and let it drain out.

Round-Up, lawn border and some mulch is the best way to keep the grass away. Just spray a ring around it with Round-Up and put some lawn border around it then fill the space with mulch of your choice. You'll have to spot spray it once in a while but that's the best way.

I don't have a pump and not sure how to go about getting one. The service guy said they don't love the idea of me putting hole in liner and draining water. not sure why. I was also thinking mulch because I would hate to use rocks and then hit one with the mower. Thank you so much for your advice.

By cutting a hole you're probably going to wash a little of the sand out and they'll have to fix it but you have to do what you have to do! And if you wait till you get all you can out there won't be much left to drain and it won't wash much out.

I have marble chips and regret it. :( You wouldn't think so, but they're constantly escaping the border and I'm constantly having to go around and pick them up before I mow. I don't know how the little buggers do that! :mrgreen:

When I change them it'll be mulch from then on.

Thats what I was afraid of with rocks of any kind! Glad I asked. I wish I had enough confidence to replace liner alone. I about passed out when they said the price of the install! I know it's possible to do alone but just didn't want to chance it. The pool is stressing me out this year!

Is it a beaded or overlap liner?
Do you have a shop vac?
Do you have an SO or a friend or two that could help for a day?

If it's a beaded liner I'd certainly suggest you DYI it. They're easy to install if you have a shop vac you can use. You set the liner completely before you put the first drop of water in it. so it's easy to work the wrinkles out.

Overlap liners are only a little harder to install because you have to remove the rails and fiddle with getting the liner in correctly then you have to put the rails back on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.