Pump and Filter Question

TK13LG

Mar 19, 2012
I would really appreciate some help on this as I really have no clue when it comes to this stuff and just want to make sure my PB is doing me right. I've been reading up on this board but let's just say as a female, this is really all foreign to me.

We are putting in a fiberglass pool approx. 13,000 gallons. Our sales man goofed and submitted a chlorine pool instead of my Saltwater System I wanted. I asked for information about the pump and filter they would be providing and here is what they gave me.

Pentiar
the 1 HP superflow (348023) will push approx. 90gpm when set approx 30' away.
the 150 Clean & Clear cartridge filter (CCRP-160355) has a flow rate of approx. 56gpm and it has the capacity to turn over approx 70K gallons in an 8 hour period.

My question is, does this look about right for my size pool. I will be insisting on changing it to a Saltwater System as I indicated per our discussion, but is there anything I need to know about cell size once they do that so I make sure I'm getting the correct equipment.

Tracy

First, I hope you realize that a saltwater pool is a chlorine pool. The only difference between the chlorine methods is that you add a bunch of salt to one and a cell converts the salt to chlorine. I am wondering if you really mean they listed a chlorine (puck-type) feeder instead of the saltwater generator.

Second, the flow rate of the pump is dependent on the plumbing, go you will not likely be getting 90 GPM from the pump which is good because as you said, the filter is capable of 56 GPM. Experts here can try to estimate your actual flow rate if you provide plumbing details.

Notes:
1. I have a ~20,000 inground pool with solar and am planning to use a 1HP Superflo 2-speed. I would recommend you see if you can get a 2-speed instead of the single speed as you can same a lot of $ on electricity by running at the low speed for a longer period. You may even be able to get away with the 3/4HP 2-speed Superflo and save even more $ on electricity.

2. I am not sure about the filter size, but generally bigger seems to be better. Water flows though it slower and is filtered better and you have to clean them less often. Hopefully, someone can chime in about the adequacy of the filter you listed.

3. Generally you want a cell that is "sized" for larger than your pool so that it is not running as often and lasts longer. A 20k cell would be a minimum in my mind and a 40k might be better. Hard to really say as the larger cells cost more, but SHOULD last longer. Do you know what salt system your are looking at?

Hope this helps a bit.

As is typical, the pump is bigger than you need and the filter smaller than you need. Actually, the pump is just too big for that filter, since you never want the flow from the pump to be more than the filter is rated for. For a pool that size, a 3/4 hp pump (preferably 2-speed) would be fine, and I would get a much bigger filter, 300+ square feet.

jblauert covered it already!

TK13LG said:
the 1 HP superflow (348023) will push approx. 90gpm when set approx 30' away.
Feet of Head <> Feet of pipe

So don't expect that flow rate. What size pipe are they planning to use and the layout?

The Pentair 150 sqft Clean and Clear filter has a maximum flow rate of a 150 GPM. The 56 GPM rating is for a commerical pool and is related to the ANSI/NSF recommendations. 150 sqft is a little on the small size, I like to see at least 15 sq-ft per 1000 gallons or at 200 sqft for your size pool.

The pipe is 2" coming from the pool to the pump and it will be 1.5" going back into the pool. All of that is about 30' from our pool.

So, from what I am reading, change the pump to a 3/4hp(2 speed) and increase the cartridge to a 200 sq-ft.

And when I add my salt cell get a 20K minimum but try to go to a 40K.

I really appreciate all your help.

Tracy

Just to verify ... are there any special features going into your pool or maybe in the near future? Like waterfalls, jets, solar heating, etc.

What type of cleaner are you going to use?

These could affect the pump size suggestion.

We will be having 4 jets installed in our shallow end seating area. No waterfeature or anything else. We will be starting with the Polaris 360 but plan to move to a robot type cleaner from Dolphin once that one goes out.

Just want you to realize that the 3/4HP Superflo 2-speed was going to be very marginal for me running solar. You have a larger suction pipe and may not have as much head loss as me, so it "may" work if you added solar. If not, you should be able to replace the motor and impeller and use the same pump housing.

FYI, I have a few bench jets in my pool and there are air intake pipes in the coping right above them ... this is dumb because the air noise is really loud. I wish the air induction was further away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mark (mas985) is the expert, but with no plans for solar or other needs for higher flow, the 3/4HP 2-speed Superflow SF-N2-3/4A (341111) should be fine and cheaper in the long run ... especially if you run on low speed most of the time.

TK13LG said:
I may go with the 1HP just to be sure. I am very excited and so are my kids.

I hope you do not feel like I "coerced/confused" you into a 1HP ... 3/4HP is very likely more than enough.

Note that Mark uses a 1/2HP 2-speed with solar :wink:

TK13LG said:
I'd rather make sure I have enough power. I can always run it at the lower speed. Again, thanks for the help.
Enough power for what? Are you planning for something else? Circulation and skimmer requires very little power and flow rates. Plus the 3/4 HP will deliver 47 GPM on the most restrictive plumbing which is less than a 5 hour turnover rate so plenty of flow rate.

To make sure the water get circulated through. I Would like to save on energy but want to mak sure there is enough flow power for my 3 returns and 4 jets when they are in use. If o can get away with 3/4 hp with no issue then I'd rather go that route to save on ny energy cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.