Does chlorine really dissipate this fast?

Pool volume is 16,200 best geusstimate.
So, adding 94 oz of Cal hypo to 16,200 gallons water that already has 10 FC should raise it to about 31 FC according to the calculator. It raised it to 24.5 in real life. I'm guessing the CalHypo is starting to lose effectiveness? It was outside, dusty, in their lawn and garden section. No telling where it was stored all winter, as this store has only recently been opened.

So, is a drop from 24.5 to 20 FC overnight enough to indicate the chlorine's being consumed by something?

24.5 to 20.0 ppm FC overnight does mean chlorine is getting consumed, but not as quickly as with an algae bloom (but could be the last remnants of nascent algae). There is some loss that is proportional to the FC level so if you lost 1 or 2 ppm FC I wouldn't think it's abnormal, but 4.5 ppm FC or a nearly 20% drop in FC is more than would be expected. If you can keep the chlorine level up for one more day and see what happens [EDIT]tonight[END-EDIT] then we can go from there. At least now you know how to get a baseline for the FC with this particular Cal-Hypo (i.e. measuring an hour after addtion) so that the measurements will be more accurate.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.