Pea Soup Color Pool :(

MrsFusion

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2010
SW Iowa
This is my 4th year with my Intex pool, but, it's the first year that I've left it up all winter. It was only covered with the solar cover all winter. There are leaves in the bottom still. I can't see them to get them yet.

PoolMarch29.jpg

I'm in SW Iowa and like everyone else I was getting antsy to open with all the warm weather we are having. Last Saturday I lifted the cover to see pea green water, leaves and little bugs swimming around. Water temp was 70( it was mid 80's that day), so I decided it was time to start messing with it. I got out all the equipment and started checking out everything and hooking up the hoses etc. I was out of CYA and no one in town had any...Amazon to the rescue! I received my stabilizer yesterday.

My question is what to do next? It supposed to rain off and on all day today. Friday - Sunday is supposed to be sunny and warm 75+.
Pool calc said to add 249 oz of bleach for a shock level of 24. And 40 oz of CYA for level of 60. Last night I put in 16 oz. of CYA(sock) I wasn't sure if I should put it all in now or not? I ran the filter all night. No more floaters on top, but I know there are still leaves in the bottom. But, I can't see them to get them(grrr)!

I tested the CYA & FC last night before adding the CYA. They were both 0. This morning I tested pH- 8.2+++ HOT PINK!

What should I do next? Wait until tomorrow when it's not raining? And do I need to run my filter 24/7 right now or wait until I start adding bleach?

Edited to add-

Duh, I was looking at my Sig...should I run my aqua critter to suck up the leaves in the bottom? I've never used it to get LARGE amounts of leaves before. Not sure how well that would work?

Take the CYA out and wait till you have it clear to put it back in. You've probably got enough in there to get to 20 or so. That's good when you're shocking.

Run the pump 24/7 until it's clear.

Don't worry about the pH as it'll read falsely high when you're shocking.

Test the FC and bring it back to shock level as often as every hour.

You need to get all the debris out that you can so running the vac might be a good idea if you can't get it with a leaf rake.

I would follow Bama's advice except do adjust your pH to about 7.4 or so before you start adding chlorine. You stated that your FC is zero and your pH is 8.2+ so you are not getting a false high pH reading.

You need to test and then add what the Pool Calc says you need to get back to shock level. The amount you need to add will vary because you'll start using less and less FC killing the baddies as you go along.

The issue with the pH is that anytime the FC is over 10 ppm the pH will read wrong and my advice was based on the fact that you had added 249oz of bleach already. Just wait till the FC is below 10ppm to check the pH.

Re: Pea Soup Color Pool-UPDATE-Foam?

PoolMarch30.jpg

It smells and looks like huge over chlorinated hot tub...lol!

It held around 19 FC over night. We did have a rain storm last night. I had to leave all morning and came home at noon to this. It's a thin foamy/bubbly layer. The skimmer had an actual pile of foam/bubbles in it. I took out the skimmer and I'm just letting the filter run.

Did I put too much bleach in? Not sure what to do next. Do I need to do a full test and check all my levels for everything?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Apparently I have a air leak at some point, I haven't found it yet. When I unhook the skimmer the bubbles/foam go away. I believe I have killed all the algae, it held a high shock level over night(thursday). This morning FC-8. At what point should I turn on the SWG? It's still cloudy white looking.

Hi MrsFusion,
I would not turn on the SWG until the shock process is complete, your water is not clear!
Continue the Shocking Process until:
1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Chuck

George N and Supertune have got you covered!

When you say:
MrsFusion said:
This morning FC-8.
do you mean a drop of 8 overnight or you are at 8 now? What is the minimum shock level you are trying to hit? Using poolcalculator.com, I get a 12 ppm minimum FC shock level for 5000 gallons and 24 ppm CYA.

As Bama mentioned earlier, if your FC level is 8 right now (or at least below 10), now would be a good time to check ph and adjust before you dose back to your FC shock level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.