Old pool plaster discolored

mxdad777

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2012
Northern California
I have a 27 year old plaster pool that I have been trying to bring back to life. I just added a SWG, new Pentair VS Pump, Polaris cleaner, booster pump and replaced all grids in the DE filter. Now that I have the water almost crystal clear, I can really see how ugly the plaster is. I am on well water and the Total Alkalinty is off the charts right out of the tap. I am working on getting the TA and pH lowered in the pool right now (adding acid) but am wondering if there's anything I can do to get rid of the stains in the pool. Here is my current water situation:
FAC 5
TAC 5
Salt 3500 (oops! I added a little too much)
CH 350
CYA 65
TA 280
pH 8.5
Copper 0
Iron 0
Phosphates 100
Water temp 63

Below are a few pics of the pool. Is the pool just too old to make look nice again or do I have hope? I plan on having it re-plastered in 2 or 3 years, but after spending 4k on new equipment I have to save up my pennies.
poolpic13-28-12.jpg

poolpic23-28-12.jpg

poolpic43-28-12.jpg

The first step is to figure out what is causing the stains. Calcium scaling, metal stains, and organic stains are the three most likely possibilities. Organic stains will fade over time. If the stains have been there for a while, organic staining is unlikely. Calcium scaling is usually rough to the touch, while metal stains are usually smooth (though there are exceptions to both rules). Another good diagnostic is to hold a vitamin C tablet against a stained area for 30 seconds and see if that changes the appearance at all. If the stain fades, then it is almost certainly an iron stain. If it gets darker then it is most likely a copper stain.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try the vitamin C tablet test when I get home this evening. After reading your reply, I'm thinking it might be calcium scaling because last summer while swimming I did notice the plaster felt a little rough to me. I didn't give it much thought though because I had been swimming in a friends vinyl lined pool recently and figured that's why it felt that way to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.