Already In Over My Head

Mar 25, 2012
Athens, GA
I already feel like I am in way over my head and we have barely gotten started. Unless we win the lottery :mrgreen: this will be a complete DIY project. This time around I will be responsible for the day to day upkeep of the pool and I have been trying to educate myself on all of this. I am already a bit overwhelmed. After reading through the Pool School information it seems we were doing a lot of stuff incorrectly on our previous pools (about 8 years ago we had a smaller above ground pool and after that we had one of the Easy Set Intex pools).

The home we recently moved into previously had a 24' round AGP. The present deck had been made to fit. The pool was gone by the time we moved in and the deck railing is rotten and needs to be replaced immediately because as you can see by my user name we have a house full of kids (actually minus 2 as they are grown and on their own). I would love to make the deck around the pool larger but we will see what happens once we get started.

We just purchased a used 24' round AG Doughboy pool. It is approximately 3 years old and appears to be in good condition. We should be dismantling and bringing the pool home this coming weekend. I will be ordering a new liner very soon but there is so much to get done before then. The previous owner had leveled the ground where he set his pool then placed plastic down and put sand on top of that. My husband had the kids raking and pulling up the small amount of grass that had begun growing in the sand but I told him I thought it would be in the best interest of the pool if we rake up/shovel off the sand that is left and pull up that old plastic and start all over.
Feel free to comment on this if you so desire.

The sand filter that we have is a Hayward S-180T and it seems that we could have a standard chlorine pool or a salt water pool with this particular filter system. I forgot to write down the name and information of the pump system and I am waiting on a reply from the previous pool owner for that info and will update as soon as possible. I just received this info on the pump: Magnetek Century pool/spa motor, ¾ hp 10 SPL. If possible I think we plan to go the salt water route.
Should we empty the sand filter before moving it and start fresh?

We are all looking forward to jumping in.

Since I know how we all love photos here are pictures of the pool we are getting.
pool1.jpg

pool2.jpg

pool3.jpg

Here are pictures of where we plan on putting the pool.
Views from the yard looking towards the house.
DSC00464.jpg

DSC00463.jpg

DSC00455.jpg

Views from the top back deck looking down into the empty pool hole.
DSC00459.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00457.jpg

DSC00460.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

View from the driveway stairs looking down.
DSC00461.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

That looks like a nice pool! Also, where you are putting should be awesome!
tiredmommyof9 said:
I already feel like I am in way over my head and we have barely gotten started. Unless we win the lottery :mrgreen: this will be a complete DIY project.
Many on here (including myself...see my sig) have done the used agp pool install ourselves, so there should be answers here to most any question you might have. I love DIY!
tiredmommyof9 said:
My husband had the kids raking and pulling up the small amount of grass that had begun growing in the sand but I told him I thought it would be in the best interest of the pool if we rake up/shovel off the sand that is left and pull up that old plastic and start all over.
It is possible that there is erosion on the side that is away from the house. AGP need to be very level and you do not want to build up to level it, you should dig down to level it, i.e. after removing sod, find your lowest spot and dig the rest of the pool area down to it. Also make sure you spray the area well with something that will kill nutgrass before you reapply and spread out the sand.
tiredmommyof9 said:
The sand filter that we have is a Hayward S-180T and it seems that we could have a standard chlorine pool or a salt water pool with this particular filter system.
You are correct. By the way, this filter will work, but it is on the small size for that volume pool.
tiredmommyof9 said:
Should we empty the sand filter before moving it and start fresh?
It is safest (and much much lighter) to remove the sand before moving. I have moved them without removing sand, but there are stories on here where people have broken their laterals doing this. Might not be worth the risk? I you decide to remove the sand to move it, then I think you might as well start with new sand when you refill. Make sure it is pool sand (20 micron I think).

For surface preparation: you want a nice level surface with something like a layer of plastic down to discourage plants from growing. How important it is to clean off the old sand really depends on what kind of condition it was in. If grass/plants have been growing in it a while and/or the plastic is crumbling or torn and/or it isn't level, then starting over is best. If it was nice and level with plastic in good condition and just a few blades of grass, then leaving it in place is simplest.

You should remove the sand before moving the filter. It is likely to be damaged if you attempt to move it with sand inside. If the sand is in good shape, you can save it and reuse it. The pros and cons have more to do with how easy it will be for you to transport the sand without getting it contaminated with dirt etc and how you feel about spending money on new sand.

Salt water systems cost a little more up front, but then make that up in the long run so that they often come out about the same total cost over time. I recommend getting a salt system, but everything will work fine without. The rest of the equipment doesn't care if it is salt or not, and you can easily change your mind later if you want.

A salt water system would be very functional in your climate. However you may want to consider a larger filter. Your current model filter is undersized and will be subject to low flow if you don't backwash constantly. Make sure you refer to the liner installer for the correct amount of stabilizer to start up the pool.

Sofadude said:
A salt water system would be very functional in your climate. However you may want to consider a larger filter. Your current model filter is undersized and will be subject to low flow if you don't backwash constantly.
I agree it is undersized if buying new, but I suggest the OP give it a try before changing it out. It might work for them.

Sofadude said:
Make sure you refer to the liner installer for the correct amount of stabilizer to start up the pool.
??? I am not sure they are hiring an installer for there liner, but what does the installer have to do with how much Cyanuric acid( i.e. stabilizer i.e. CYA) the OP puts in the pool? That should be determined by how big the pool is and whether or not a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (i.e. swg or swcg) is being used. See this table: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_levels

Most Liner installers will know the exact volume of water that fits in that size pool. The homeowner rarely knows. So its best to ask before putting CYA in the pool. It has nothing to do with the salt system, except if the CYA isn't in the water the cell may not generate chlorine fast enough. Also the volume of the pool will dictate the generating capacity of the salt cell.

Sofadude said:
Most Liner installers will know the exact volume of water that fits in that size pool.
So if the Op uses a liner installer, they can tell the volume of the pool to the OP, or the OP could easily calculate it... being it is a round pool with apparently no plans for a deep end...either way I guess :?

Sofadude said:
It has nothing to do with the salt system, except if the CYA isn't in the water the cell may not generate chlorine fast enough.
Please refer to this poolschool article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator It details this sites recommendations for water balance for swcgs.

Sofadude...if you would like to continue this discussion, I suggest we move it to another thread.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have soooooo much to learn. At this time we will be using the sand filter that originally came with the pool. We might in the future be able to upgrade it but not right now. As I stated in my original post this will be a complete DIY so we will be assembling the pool ourselves and inserting the liner and getting the pool up and running.

I did receive the information about the pump: Magnetek Century pool/spa motor, ¾ hp 10 SPL.

That 180 filter is kinda small but it'll do fine until you can get a bigger one. You may have to backwash it more than you'd like but that's not a big deal.

The biggest issue you're going to have is the existing deck. It's not a big deal it's just that you're going to have to work under the deck a little setting up the wall.

I know you're already aware of it but you need to be sure to get the floor completely level and tamped and I'd treat the ground for nutgrass just to be safe.

We're always here for moral support so when you get in the middle of it and have a question feel free to ask.

Great looking site, personally I'd scrape the sand off - get a long 2X8 board - strap a 4' level to it and ensure the site is level - everything depends on a level site, if the previous site was level than it shouldn't be all that much work.

Plunking the new pool down so that it meets up nice with the existing deck edge is going to be very hard, there's a very good chance you'll have some gaps or possibly have to cut back a board or two.

Good luck, a new pool will look great in there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ditto with cramar, if it was me I would do the same and scrape the sand and confirm the ground beneath is 100% level, a little extra effort would go a long way, u would not want to find out its off level after its full of water. Others probably can verify or dismiss the fact that you may have to redo the positioning of the pavers for the uprights, even if it is the same 24 foot size but a different brand, and if they are even still there, I do not see them in the pictures. If they are not there you would have to dig and level them anyway.

Very nice home and I love the way the pool area is incorporated into the home

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.