Another Austin pool person

Vinoveritas

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 10, 2011
Austin, Texas
Hey all. On the day last summer that a landscape architect was coming to the house to deliver my wife and me a master plan for the backyard that would deal with the shade and our two standard poodles who want nothing more in life than to kill every squirrel that enters their yard, I believe it was out 75th day of 100+ temps in Austin and we eventually hit 90 days. Three months of that is a beating let me tell you. Literally minutes before the architect arrives, my wife declared that we needed a pool so as most of you married guys can understand - we are building a pool. I believe the only concession that I won was that we will only leave the house if something very good, or very bad happens to us, so the spouse is going to have to Love It, rather than List It. I am not building a pool for the next owner of our house, regardless of interest rates and the appreciation of our house making it an easy decision. We have twin 10 year old boys and I know they will get tons of use out of the pool and I am looking forward to lots of long soaks in both the pool and the spa we are putting in.

It took us most of the fall to begin interviewing PBs. I was amazed at how quickly what I thought I wanted changed after meeting a designer who instead of just giving us what we wanted, asked if he could make two designs, the first being our suggestion (freeform pool with maybe tinted plaster) and the second being his vision for the backyard after seeing our house and our design aesthetic. He totally blew us out of the water with this very linear design that we were so excited to go with until the day we were going to sign the contract and he plotted the points on the ground and a massive post oak tree that provides tons of shade and beauty to our house was literally 5 feet from one corner. I knew it was going to be close, but this was beyond the pale and I could not live with killing that tree so we went back to the freeform design. They started in early March and they should perform the Wet Edge Tech Satin application on Tuesday (stay away rain).

I am going to post a build thread shortly but I wanted to say "hi" here first. My TFT-100 arrived last week and I am already scoping out bleach prices. If everything goes well, we will be swimming by Easter Weekend. (Well my kids can get in, I surely won't be getting in 65 degree water!). I am very glad to be here.
:party: