Pool cover purchase/install (don't use poolcenter.com)

fangbaby

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Austin, TX
I bought a pool cover "GLI custom cover" from poolcenter.com
My salesman was Sean Griffin, I'm not sure if he is still employed there, he doesn't return phone calls/email anymore.

I Bought the cover 5/11, and left it in the box for several months since we were using the pool still. Fast forward to November, and the race to beat the leaves was on!

Picked up a rotary hammer drill from HarborFreight (on sale + coupon) about $70, as well as masonry bits for $10 (only needed one).

About 4 hours drilling holes, pounding anchors, and attaching straps later.. everything is good.
(protip: Don't push hard on a rotary hammer drill, doing so defeats the jackhammer action. Let the tool do the work.)

Problem 1:
Poolcenter neglected to include the installation bar, luckily I fashioned one from an old metal broomstick, and they sent one 2-day the following Monday. The call to poolcenter.com on Saturday is best forgotten, I was polite as always, but they were less helpful than smashing my hand with a hammer. When I called Monday they were super helpful, apologetic, and my installation tool was on its way quickly.

Problem 2:
Despite specifically asking if this cover included padding (to protect against rough coping and to keep stuff from blowing under the cover) and being assured, in writing, that it did, it did not. I have called pool center and all I can get out of them is a %15 discount of my next purchase of a pool cover. Leaves and tree pollen slip under the cover and I have not yet devised a solution. I will not be doing business with poolcenter.com again.

I use the blue flexible electrical conduit and purchased about 150 feet of it which stretches the entire perimeter of the pool. I've got a Loop-loc cover and I don't think any of these covers have something that is added around the perimeter. Without adding some perimeter protection, you simply get junk in your pool. Nothing that a clean-up in the spring doesn't take care of though... even with the flexible conduit, but it certainly minimized alot of the junk. I also run my electric pool cleaner about 3-4 times during the winter when the water isn't frozen. That certainly helps a LOT!

This is the biggest reason I dislike coping with a Safety Grip, aka an upturned lip. All safety covers catch debris in the space between the top of it and the decking. Getting it out before the cover is pulled off is a royal PITA. Many skip this.

Loop-Loc has a product for longer stretches of rough coping that is 30" wide and 20' long called "UNDR COVR" Padding. It gets attached to the straps in sections.

Anchor Industries covers may have a 30" wide strip sewn to the perimeter as an option. While it works to reduce cover abrasion, it also catches water when pulling the cover off and also adds a lot of space and weight to a rolled up cover.

If you have only a couple of perimeter spots that need be padded, these can be sewn in during the cover's manufacturing if they are told about them. For example, if a vinyl pool I am measuring has S/S rope anchors in the coping, I ask L/L to pad them to keep a snow load from wearing those spots. Any sharp inside curves and spill ways should also be padded.

Scott

I bought my cover from them 2 years ago. Fit perfectly, customer service is/was great, cover came with rough coping guard on it.
The rough coping protection are just thick pieces of rubber on the underside of the seams that keep the fabric from touching the coping. I don't think any of the safety covers keep debris from blowing under the edges. Like others have said, it's just the design flaw in them.
My pool has 2 pointy concrete corners by the steps, so I just throw some pieces of indoor outdoor carpet over those for the winter so it doesn't poke holes through it if snow accumulates.
I know it wasn't time to put your winter cover on when you received it, but i'm curious why you didn't check it if it was to be stored away for a few months?
I always check my online purchases even if it's not going to be used, so i don't miss a return date if it's damaged or flawed.

I should have taken a look at the cover before letting it sit, I don't have much of an excuse.

It sounds like the padding wouldn't help with my problem anyway and everyone solves this (or doesn't) in their own way.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.