Solar connection

mxdad777

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2012
Northern California
I just purchased and installed the Hayward Aqua Plus Salt System(model: PL-Plus) and I want to connect my existing solar system to it. The solar system came with the house when I bought it, so I don't have any manuals for it. From looking at the control box it's a 1998 model. The brand name is Fafco, but I can't find any model number on it. Here is a picture of it
I'm hoping someone on here can help me out with a link to an install manual for the Fafco or instruct me on how to eliminate the Fafco panel and wire it to my Aqua Plus panel. Thanks in advance for any help.
FafcoSolarControl.jpg

I think the Aqua Plus has all the controls built into it for solar ... so it would replace the old FAFCO controller. You probably need to check out the manual for the Aqua Plus to figure out how to hook up the temperature sensors and solar actuator from the old controller to the new one. Hopefully the components match up ... although doesn't the AQ come with temp sensors?

Aqua Plus manuals can be found here.

Ah see your update. The solar control just requires 3 hook ups ... Water Temp, Solar Temp, Actuator. I am not sure if the Temp sensors for the old setup can just be hooked up to the AQ (which came with its own sensors right?). The actuator should just have 2 wires that need to be hooked into the AQ on the Valve 3 relay and then the polarity of the actuator needs to be set (should be a switch on it).

EDIT: And then you have program the AQ to know that solar is setup based on the manual.

Yes, the AQ came with 3 sensors....water (for pool temp) water (for solar temp) and air. I have the pool and air installed and still have the extra for the solar. I think I'm making this more difficult than it is, but when I disconnected the old Fafco controller they have wires going everywhere. There were wires tied into the booster pump (Cleaner delay), wires tied into the main pump and power coming from a circuit breaker as well as the temperature sensor wires and the control valve wires. Logic tells me that all I need for the AQ are two water sensors, one before the solar panels (already installed) and one after the panels. And then of course the wires connecting the AQ to the automatic valve. Am I missing something here?

mxdad777 said:
Logic tells me that all I need for the AQ are two water sensors, one before the solar panels (already installed) and one after the panels. And then of course the wires connecting the AQ to the automatic valve. Am I missing something here?

That is what my logic tells me too. Note that the "after the panels" sensor is not a water temp. It should be mounted near the panels so it gets the same amount of the sunlight as your panels. (Might be able to try to use the existing sensor if you do not want to run the new line to the roof) The controller uses the air/sun temp to compare to the water temp. Your 3rd air temp sensor should be placed in the shade somewhere so the sun does not affect it (although I think it is ONLY used for freeze protection which may not be an issue for you).

Although realizing that you have a booster pump now ... what is it for? Sounds like it was possibly tied in with the solar which I doubt is needed. Maybe provide a picture of the wiring and your pad? Have you already wired the booster and filter pumps to the new AQ?

Yes, the filter pump and booster pump are already wired to the AQ. The booster pump I have now is for my pressure side pool sweep (Polaris 3900). I don't believe the solar needs the booster pump to push the water, I think it was some type of a delay for the cleaner. Maybe to let the cleaner get going before the solar opened up. I really don't know and another reason why the original owners manual might be helpful.
As far as the solar temperature sensor goes, wouldn't it make more sense to have it sensing the water temp rather than the air temp? If the water temp is higher than the pool.... it opens the valve. If it's cooler than the pool (or the pool is already at desired temp) the valve stays closed. I did read in the AQ manual that the solar sensor was an air sensor, but I thought that might be a typo. The 3 sensors that came with the kit, 2 had a clamp and "O" ring for installing in a pipe and 1 had no clamp. Two for water and one for air????

I am looking a buying a similar setup (Pro Logic since I have the cell already) interesting that 2 are setup for water sensing.

I think the idea is that in the sun the sensor will be the same temp as the black solar panel when no water is passing though. As soon as you start running water through the panels, the panel temp will drop as will the water temp in the panels. In fact with appropriate water flow you may only see a few degrees of water temp rise through the panels which could then shut off the solar loop, but as the sun warmed up the water sitting in the panels, the loop may open again, so you can see how you might end up in a cycle of opening and closing. Leaving the sensor in the air/sun lets the control know the heat available to the panels without the cooling effect of the water passing through.

I see...That makes perfect sense. So yes, the solar sensor needs to be an "air sensor" and not a water sensor. I sure hope my existing sensor will work with the AQ system. I don't want to have to try and figure out a way to run the wires to my roof. That would be a lot of concrete to get under. That extra clamp and o ring must just be that, "extra".

Well, with only a 15' wire on the sensors, you would have to lengthen it anyways.

I would suggest trying the existing sensor (there are only a couple different types 1K ohm and 10k ohm) and I think most current ones are the latter. If your current sensor does not seem to work, you may be able to just use the existing wires and splice in the new sensor by the roof. This may or may not work as they are supposed to use a special shielded twisted pair wire for longer runs or near high voltage wires.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So now I'm wondering if my booster pump that's for my pool sweep also needs to be on when the solar is on? I have a Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump (3 hp max) and my panels are up on the roof of my house. Guessing about 18 foot of head height and about 50 feet from the pump. And what RPM does my Pentair Intelliflo need to be running at to push the water through the solar panels? My old pump was a single speed 2 hp and my booster pump is a 3/4 hp.

I will have a similar setup and was told here I could use a 3/4 HP pump. It does not take a lot of power to get the water up there and once the panels are full, gravity helps bring it down. You may just have to play with it to figure out how high it needs to be. FYI, the higher the flow rate through the panels the better the heat transfer to the pool. I am going to get a 2 speed and run on high for solar and low when not using solar. The AquaPlus may even have logic to take care of that but ....

I have to ask, if you have the Intelliflo, why did you get the Hayward Automation? Did you get the adapter that lets them work together (I do not know much about this)?

jblauert said:
I have to ask, if you have the Intelliflo, why did you get the Hayward Automation? Did you get the adapter that lets them work together (I do not know much about this)?

That's kind of a sore subject with me right now. I wish I would have discovered this site sooner and maybe I would have bought a different setup. My local pool supply store convinced me that the Hayward AQ was the best automation/salt system on the market and the Intelliflo was the best pump. I asked specifically if they were compatible and was told yes. So far (it's only been 5 days) I have to say that I am pleased with both, but not happy that they don't interface. I am doing some research on that subject as well. So far I think I've found out that I can get them to talk to each other, it's just going to cost me another $150 to buy an IntelliComm II adapter. Like I said, I'm still looking into that one. But yes, if I had to do it all over again, I think I would have gone with either all Pentair or all Hayward.

I was not aware until a few days ago that the IntelliComm II adapter existed ... and not sure what it actually allows. I think there is some discussion about in somewhere around here.

I am getting a Pentair 2-speed, so the Hayward automation is fine to control that. All the different automation / SWG / pump possibilities sure do make it hard to know what to get. I think I now understand the differences between the Hayward Prologic P4 (same as the Aqua plus, without the cell) and the PS4, but it was hard to find good info.

Let us know how the solar works out and if other questions some up.

Well I connected the solar sensor from the old system to the Aqua Plus panel and also the Jandy electronic valve. Went through the set up menu for solar and what do you know, IT WORKS PERFECT! Now if I can just get the Intellicom II adapter working correctly. As easy as the solar was to hook up, the Intellicom II connecting to the Pentair Intelliflo vs pump has been a nightmare!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.