Water behind Liner ... New Liner or can i fix?

smithp

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2011
The perfect storm occurred. Pool pump went out and heavy rains happened. Pool crested. Puu in sump pump but was too late. Now pool liner has alot of water behind it and I have been reading but not alot of info out there on how to remove. Saw a youtube video where guy got his back up but not how he did it.

Liner just replaced last year. Do I have to replace it or is there a way to repair/reposition it?????

You should have a well point somewhere around your pool. Most likely on the deep end. If you do, drop a submersible pump in there and pump it out. Over time the water behind the liner will recede and the liner should go back in place.

If the liner's just a year I can't imagine that it would have to be replaced even if you have to drain the pool and have it reset (which you shouldn't have to do).

Can't offer a lot of help but I do know that a lot of posters say that you can only drain the pool within 1-2 years of liner install without compromising the liner, so (if that's the case) your still within that window, so it may be that draining the pool (partially or completely) is at least an option.

The water "behind the liner" is just ground water in the pool hole, and is just from the heavy rain. Essentially you have an equal amount of water inside and outside the pool, meaning the weight of the water in the pool no longer pushes the liner against the walls, so it's just kind of floating there.

If your ground water situation is such that it happens often, then you may have had a provision for pumping it out as Bama mentioned. If you can get a well-point into the gravel backfill around your pool, you can pump the water away. Since my yard slopes away from my pool, I have a gravity drained perimeter line in mine to prevent build-up of ground water.

Do not have a "well point" that i know of.
Do I just wait and see?

I have drained about 2 1/2 ft of water out.
Do i drain the pool completely?
Do I refill the water i already drained out?
Do i try and use pump placed behind the liner remove water?

Get that water back in there!! Without a well point, you have no choice but to wait for the groundwater to go back down. With a little diligence and a little luck, you can wiggle the liner around to make sure it goes back in the right place. Is the water warm enough to get in?

The central question is did the liner shift, or is it simply bowing out from the walls. If it didn't shift, all you need to do is add more water to the pool (if it isn't totally full already) and wait. If the liner shifted a little, you need to push it back into place. If the liner shifted a lot you may need to wait for the ground water to go down, drain the pool and then reset the liner.

Toast ????
[attachment=2:2urjqaxx]pool corner.jpg[/attachment:2urjqaxx]
[attachment=1:2urjqaxx]pool corner 2.jpg[/attachment:2urjqaxx]
[attachment=0:2urjqaxx]pool corner 3.jpg[/attachment:2urjqaxx]

Attachments

• pool corner.jpg
    pool corner.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 256
  • pool corner 2.jpg
    pool corner 2.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 257
  • pool corner 3.jpg
    pool corner 3.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 255
It is impossible to tell for sure without seeing the bottom more clearly, but casually, that looks like it will be alright. Add some water to the pool, paying attention during the fill process to see if the liner is going back into place correctly. If the wrinkles start to get worse instead of better you should stop filling and re-evaluate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bottom picture is same as 1st and 3rd pics from earlier post. Steps are to show murkiness and can't see bottom yet. Cholrine from non existent to off the chart.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 197
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.