Drinking Water Chlorine level

brownchristian

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, TX
Need help with a non pool question. I have a 300 gallon water tank that I want to add bleach to to prevent algae growth. Based on the pool calculator with a CYA of 20 which I know is more than I will have in tap water I will only need to add 1.9 ounces which is only 1/4 cup of bleach to maintain a FC level of 3.

Web states that drinking water acceptable limit is 4 ppm of chlorine. Is the FC a ppm number or different.

The water in the tank will not be used to drink but to bathe, wash dishes, brush teeth, etc...

Please help.

It shouldn't have any CYA in it at all. If it is already good clean water...........I think 4 drops per gallon is what is recommended.........to maintain it at DRINKING water level. There are approximately 450 drops of bleach in one fluid ounce. So, a little more than 3 ounces is what I come up with. Hope that helped.

FC is measured in ppm, so the drinking water standard does convert directly to a standard FC measurement of 4.

Keep in mind that chlorine breaks down fairly quickly, so the actual FC level will be lower after several hours, and lower still the next day and so on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.