Will Hayward work with Pentair?

mxdad777

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2012
Northern California
I recently purchased a Hayward Aqua Plus (PL-Plus) salt system and a Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump(model: 011018). My question is, can these two be connected to interface one with the other? If they can, how do I do it? If it can't be interfaced, do I just wire the Pentair pump directly to the circuit breaker located in the Hayward, or can I still use the relay on the Hayward designated for the pump? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

There are various ways to approach this situation. You can get the most control over the pump if you purchase an IntelliComm II adpater, though that certainly isn't required. If all you want is simple on/off control you can use the pump relay to turn the pump on and off, but that prevents you from using nearly all of the advanced features of the pump. Another option is to not connect the two together, and simply count on their timers staying more or less in sync.

Thanks for the info. I knew that I could wire the pump direct and rely on their individual time clocks, but I would really like to interface the two for safety reasons. I don't want my booster pump or my salt cell coming on if something were to happen to the main pump. Currently I have the pump wired through the Aqua Plus relay, but as you pointed out, it restricts the Intelliflo pump and it's capabilities. I wasn't aware of the IntelliComm II adpater so I think that's what I'll look into. With the IntelliComm II adpater, I'm assuming it will allow me to use the RS-485 communication cable that came with the pump. Is this correct? Thanks again for the feedback.

The IntelliComm II connects to the pump using the pumps RS-485 data connection. It then wires up to the PL-PLUS relays on the other side. The most straightforward setup is to configure the PL-PLUS for a two speed pump, and the IntelliComm II to match. That gives you control of two speeds plus off, on the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.