New fire pit...

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Well, after much hemming and hawing I ordered one of these over the weekend. It's pretty pricey, but should last for decades:

http://www.jacksonshardware.com/store/p ... oduct=5959

We have a gas bowl that we never use because the wind blows out half the flames. As convenient as gas is (we have a gas fireplace inside and love it), there's nothing like kicking your feet up and cooking over a real fire! Anybody else out there with a real-wood fire pit?

Can't wait to get it and burn down the neighborhood! :party:

When we moved into our current house there were a Grapefruit tree and Orange tree and a tiny Mesquite tree in large brick pits on the patio. I dug out the Mesquite, filled it in some and now use the 5' x 5' bricked in area as our fire pit ... although being AZ, we really do not get it going much :-D

Attachments

• Backyard_space.jpg
    Backyard_space.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 461
Wow MITS! That's is a firepit that you can pass down to your kids kids for sure. You need something there is the desert to warm up by when you get out of your pool and into that air with 15% humidity. Brrr!

Yeah, I hope we use it. It sure sounds fun right now...we'll need to find a source of wood though. It's easy to scrounge up enough mesquite, palo verde, or acacia to fuel the smoker, but burning a real fire is different.

jblauert, is that your "undersized DIY solar heater" that we can see on your roof?

Melt In The Sun said:
jblauert, is that your "undersized DIY solar heater" that we can see on your roof?

Yes it is/was ... no longer on the roof and after a re-coating in the coming weeks I have 10 4'x12.5' Heliocol panels going back on the roof (wish they were up now as the water is around 70 and I am sure it would be higher with the solar).

It was actually more pipe than I thought ... 9x 250' runs and 3x 100' runs if it was not all tangled and piled on each other it could have been about 200 sqft of heater area (still kind of small for the surface area of the pool).

BTW, that is a really nice looking pit. We just got lucky to have something already kind of built-in.

Problem I find is that when the water/air is warm enough to swim I have no interest in a fire going (although the low humidity makes 90 degree air feel cold :) ). Hoping that when my kids get a little older we will make more use of the fire pit ... luckily the land we got came with firewood and I cut down a HUGE mesquite tree that was in the green circle between the pool and the house that made a huge mess. We may actually cut down the other big mesquite that is behind the fence to the SW of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.