Does a "portable" timer exist that can handle a 2HP pump?

Speedo

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2011
I've been looking for a portable timer for my pump. Nothing is hard-wired it's plugged in to an outlet. When searching for the amount of amps my pump uses I found anywhere from 12-17a. I found an Intermatic, Model# P1131. But most reviews are saying it uses a non standard plug and a lot of sites are listing it as a 15 amp max not 20.

Does anyone have a big pump on a portable timer?

Until now I've enjoyed having an over sized pump with 2 speeds.

TIA

Re: Does a "portable" timer exist that can handle a 2HP pump

What does the pump label state as the maximum amps?

This timer should work if the pump label says that it is less than 15 amps.

yeah, I was looking at that one too. I checked last night and it's 16.x on high, I believe 16.4 to be exact and low speed is 9.x closer to 10 amps.

I'm debating about getting the cheaper one and using it while on low speed and then unplugging it to run high speed while cleaning.

I usually run it on high as I'm dosing, but I doubt it actually makes any difference.

Most pumps will run lower than the rating so it may still be ok. Can you measure the amp or power draw?

I suppose I could try looking for cheap monitor and hook it up to see, the breaker is 20amp and has never been tripped (the pump only shares it with the heater)

I was debating about buying the 15a and only using it when the pump is on low speed. I could either remove it when switching to high or buy a tool to check the amperage.

I think I've seen killAwatt devices that show amperage, that might be a nice toy to have :)

What type of power meter do you have on the side of your house? The new digital meters are very easy to read and also show voltages. If you have the power with the pump vs off, you can approximate the amps with a pump power factor of 0.9.

Amps ~ Power Delta / Volts / 0.9

Some of the killawatt units have a 15 amp max as well so keep that in mind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.