intelliflo vs intellipro variable speed pump

Mar 26, 2012
We contracted to install a intelliflo variable speed pump but the contractor installed us a intellipro. They said the two pumps were identical but intellipro has a slightly larger basket and more easy to remove the motor if needed. I don't feel these are useful to me because we usually empty basket frequently and we will use service company if need motor repair. To me, besides the fact that intelliflo's almond color matchs our existing equipment color, I'm also concerned that IntelliPro is less known and has more possibility to get discontinued or more expensive if need to replace parts. Want to get the opinion from pool expert here whether my concern is valid. Or if you know one pump has an advantage vs another. Thank you very much!

Parts should be just as easy to find since they both use the same drive and the performance of the two pumps is nearly identical so the only real difference is the color.

mas is correct, you should be just fine with the IntelliPro!

Edit: the programming on both IntelliPro VS 3050 and IntelliFlo VS 3050 IS the same, but the Intelliflo 3050 is no longer available (and was replaced by the IntelliFlo 3HP VS - sku 011018). This new IntelliFlo has 8 speeds, while the old IntelliFlo 3050 and IntelliPro 3050 each have 4 speeds.

The Intellipro and Intelliflo come in exactly the same equivalent versions and their programing interfaces are identical so there should be no difference in programming.

Intelliflo VS-3050 <--> Intellipro VS-3050
Intelliflo VS-SVRS <--> Intellipro VS-SRVS
Intelliflo VS (new) <--> Intellipro VS (new)

The only exception is the VF. I have not seen nor does Pentair advertise the Intellipro VF

We install the Intellipro VS almost exclusively. In fact, the only time we don't is if the customer specifically requests intelliflo or we don't have one in stock. The pump has unions so any leaks that may occur are fixed easily usually by tightening the union (no service call for you to pay for someone to redo fittings on your pump) and, IMO, the pump design is better. I think the whisperflo seal plate design has some serious flaws. I cringe when I go to fix one because 8 out of 10 have the inserts pulled out of the seal plate and it's cheaper just to buy a new pump than to put all back together with parts. I'd say they did you a favor by putting the intellipro in. Performance is basically the same and I'm pretty sure the intellipro is a newer design, so I definitely wouldn't worry about parts going away.

thepoolman said:
We install the Intellipro VS almost exclusively. In fact, the only time we don't is if the customer specifically requests intelliflo or we don't have one in stock. The pump has unions so any leaks that may occur are fixed easily usually by tightening the union (no service call for you to pay for someone to redo fittings on your pump) and, IMO, the pump design is better. I think the whisperflo seal plate design has some serious flaws. I cringe when I go to fix one because 8 out of 10 have the inserts pulled out of the seal plate and it's cheaper just to buy a new pump than to put all back together with parts. I'd say they did you a favor by putting the intellipro in. Performance is basically the same and I'm pretty sure the intellipro is a newer design, so I definitely wouldn't worry about parts going away.

is this the reason why the intelliFLO on sale here? i hope that buying a new pump comment was just for the WhisperFlo.

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... 011018.htm

I was referring to the design of the whisperflo/intelliflo. To be honest, most people on here don't abuse their equipment and won't have the type of issues that I'm describing, but it can happen. The intelliflo is a great pump. Install it with some beefy cpvc nipples to avoid leaks and make sure it doesn't run dry and you'll be good to go. I just prefer the intellipro because I may be out later to deal with an issue.

Blake can probably chime in as to why they are on sale. I'd assume it's the result of an early buy purchase or something and they are passing on savings. To my knowledge the intelliflo isn't going anywhere.

thepoolman said:
Performance is basically the same and I'm pretty sure the intellipro is a newer design, so I definitely wouldn't worry about parts going away.
Corresponding models of the IntelliFlo and IntelliPro are nearly identical. The largest differences are in the superficial details like the paint color, brand labeling, and unions. The motor and electronics are identical between the two lines and while the wet ends are different, that doesn't have much effect.

The max-e-pro and whisperflo were designed by two different companies at two different times. Although their performance is comparable, they're pretty different.

Regardless, either pump is the VS version is a good choice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thepoolman said:
Blake can probably chime in as to why they are on sale. I'd assume it's the result of an early buy purchase or something and they are passing on savings. To my knowledge the intelliflo isn't going anywhere.

The Intelliflo VS-3050 was replaced by the Intelliflo 3HP VS (sku 011018). The only significant difference is the new pump has 8 speeds. It is not 'on sale,' just very competitively priced. That is a great pump and it's not going anywhere!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.