Air Temp = 197 degrees F?

switch the two sensors (which should be similar) at the circuit board and see if it flip flops the displayed temperatures.
If so, I would say that your air sensor is bad.
If not, and it still shows the water temp as short or high, then you've most likely got a problem on the circuit board.

So I did the swap yesterday...

Before the swap:
Air = 197F
Water = 72F

After the swap:
Air = 68F
Water = -11F

Here are some interesting observations:
Both sensors use red/black wires. One sensor was arranged with red on top, the other black (Possitive/Negative neutral?).

And here's the biggest kicker. According to the words on the circuit board, the sensors were wired into the wrong
position! :hammer:

No, unfortunately. You have proved that the originally wired to the water connection, and now to the air connection, sensor is working correctly.

A bad sensor will show as either consistently too high, or constantly too low. Yours switched from too high in one configuration to too low in the other configuration, which suggests a problem with the wiring. The problem could be a bad connection where the wires connect to the main unit, or an intermittent connection somewhere along the length of the wire, but is unlikely to be a problem with the sensor it's self.

PhotoEd, these are the values for pentair temp probes. Measure the resistance of the probe, use the air temp. as your known value. If you can't read it let me know.

photo-14.jpg

photo-13.jpg

I do agree that it proves the original water temp sensor is working correctly, as well as the pcb terminal connections.
how do the wires look? frayed? discolored? perhaps cut the wires back about a foot to get a fresh contact point on the wires.
otherwise, I would replace the air temp sensor and call it a day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll check tonight Ed and see if I still have the number. Measure it first though to make sure it is in fact the sensor. I believe it was a little spendy? $35-40 if i remember? I would cut off the stripped ends and strip new ends and measure from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.