No suction on skimmer line, Vac Ideas?

pooly1

Mar 24, 2012
Michigan
I don't have any suction on my skimmer line and I think Ive exhausted my within budget options at this point to fixing it. My pool is pretty clean aside for some small sediment that I cant seem to get brushed into the main drain. Has anyone used any sort pressure side vacuum head with any success? I just don't have the money to buy a automatic cleaner this year and don't feel lucky it trying to plumb my suction side into the filter because of the age I might cause more issues. If anyone has any ideas or tips Thanks!

Well I was vacuuming and lost suction. I usually try and switch from my main drain back to my skimmer line and that will free up a clog or I run my drain king from the pump side back. Neither of those worked. Ran a snake down the skimmer and didnt seem to hit a blockage but with such sharp ninetys hard to tell whats what. When I have the main drain closed and the skimmer full open I get a small amount of water but nothing else. Not sure what else to do at this point without tearing up cement.

So when you ran the drain king (is this the expandable hose attachment ?) did water backflow from the skimmer? When you did the drain king did you have the main drain turned off? You want all suction ports turned off except for the skimmer you are having issues with.

Yes I had the main drain off and actually removed the valve from the suction side. I put the drain king directly in the suction line and tryed to reverse the blockage. I was hoping to just add a vacuum port on the skimmer line but it is delicate cause of its age and was hoping I could find another solution for the time being, Hence my interest in some sort of pressure vac.

Pressure side cleaners, leaf rakes, etc work well on leaves and mid-sized debris, but they don't do very well on fine dust.

If you have a ball valve that turns the skimmer pipe on and off at the equipment pad there is another possibility. Ball valves sometimes break so that the handle still turns but the ball remains in a single position. This is less likely that what the others have suggested, but still possible.

I just have one gate valve going to my skimmer and I removed it to use the drain king.

Okay hmm I guess I need another option since I get lots of fine dust in my pool. I have a possible option for a aquabot turbo t jet. Its the one with wheels. I seen aquabots are posted often and it seems most people are happy with them. The ones I see posted are usually the ones with the scrubbers. Anyone have any experience with this one? I have a 16 x32 vynil inground I think its 4 to 8 depth. Thanks everyone for all the quick responses. Learning alot!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Spent a little bit of time on this issue the other day. One question I had was my valves are attached to black flexible PVC with hose clamps and they are attached to grey PVC elbows(as far down I dug to see) Never thought anything of it until I started reading posts here and haven't seen anyone with the same setup. I'm guessing this is not right :rant:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.