My DIY project - advice and suggestions more than welcome

Mar 23, 2012
Hi guys

Well here is my project i am busy with now . I will upload pics as i go along and need all the advice i can get so please feel free to jump in and help .

As i said i bought the house with a broken pool . The previous owner had this pool build without and reinforcing and with the weight of the water it broke it's back

p1020471op.jpg

Build up not 100% sunk into the ground
picture033yd.jpg

Damage to the pool
sam0675d.jpg

sam0678ghk.jpg

This is what i am planning to do (Sorry for metric measurements )

jacuzzipool.jpg

I decided to cut the pool in half and fill up the deep end then build a "splash pool" for the kids using the shallow end . Then i got the idea why not add a cold water jacuzzi in the deepend part i am filling up . Then we can sit in the jacuzzi and enjoy a cold one while having a BBQ ;) So i got sand bags and am now building the wall to divide my pool in half and then will fill the deep end and ontop of that build my jacuzzi thet will flow over into my lil splash pool . My way of thinking is to build my "new pool and jacuzzi" inside my old pool and use my old cracked pool as a foundation . I am planning to line the "old pool bucket with reinforsing and then recement the walls and bottom then marbelite it . Now my way of thinking is if i do it like that then it shouldn't break again as it is like building my pool on a cement base ? Now question to all would it be better to use rebar to reinforce or would pool mesh be enough or should i use a combo of both ?

Building the dividing wall
sam0677d.jpg

Filling up the deep end

sam0662i.jpg

sam0684c.jpg

I will get a compacter to compact the fill and put cement layer then more fill and water it down before adding more fill then compacting till i reach the level where my jacuzzi floor is going to be . Then will build my jacuzzi using the sand bags and adding my plumbing to the jacuzzi as i build it up before doing the reinforcing .

Well this is how far i am now . Any comments suggestions are welcome .

Thank you for checking it out

Re: My DIY project - advice and suggestions more than welcom

Very interesting! I look forward to seeing how it progresses. Looks as though you will have some interesting work ahead.

hehe well been reading on the construction thread , and so far haven't run into anyone that had done a similar project so it is going to be a nice learning curve for me , hope to get a lot of advice and pointers from the guys here on the forum , and planning to do a lot of pics and post it for if someone in the future plan to do something similar as i believe in sharing my mistakes and how to overcome them to someone that might get into similar type of situation .

Very interesting, indeed! You are right, I don't think there is another thread with a similar project here.

Keep the pics coming :whoot:

and, good luck with the project :-D

Your old pool cracked because the ground underneath it settled. That settling has probably stopped but it can move again.

How do you intend to cover that sand bagged divider wall? Masonry I assume?

What kind of fill is that in the shallow end? Will that be covered with a masonry surface?

This is what i am planning to do

sidecutofproposedpool.jpg

Keeping my old gunite shell and drilling holes into it to put pins in to which i will fasten the new rebar/reinforcing then gunite over the reinforcing forming a new gunite shell . The old deepend i am filling up with layers of compacted soil and cement layers , till i get to the depth i need for my jacuzzi . will then built the jacuzzi steps and walls with sandbags and put reinforcing over that and gunite my walls . When i get to the top of the old gunite shell of the deep end will top it off with concrete slab

I would use rebar. And I am not sure I would pin it to the old shell. It's amazing to me that they would have built the old pool without any reinforcement. Crazy.

Layout of jacuzzi

Hi guys

What layout is better ? The square one or the octoganal one with jets as laid out ? Maybe pro's and con's to each if you have the time ?
Also what size pump should i use for my jacuzzi 1.1kw or a .75kw ?

seating.jpg

Also as everyone knows i am new to this . What is the correct placement for my pumps ?

pumplevel.jpg

Placing a new gunite shell up against a sand bagged wall with fill dirt behind it may lead to some issues. That fill dirt and the sand bags are not really stable.

It would seem to me pouring a rebar-reinforced concrete wall instead might give you the stability you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.