Using 1" line for cleaner?

Jun 29, 2011
Texas
I have a 1" line that's not being used. I assume it was originally installed fro a cleaner, but its currently just capped off.

If I plumb this to the skimmer return at the pump, will the 1" line be suitable to run the cleaner and skimmer with my Pentair VS? I'm concerned with such a small line, I'm asking for trouble for getting obstructions of debris. However I was thinking an in-line leaf catcher in the hose should reduce this from happening.

Also, how does one install a cap, or removable cover for the sidewall port? I'm thinking of the safety side here, if the cleaner was not attached and the cleaner schedule came up with kids in the pool near the wall port.

duraleigh said:
It's not clear to me where the two ends of this unused line are. Are you saying you want to use it as a suction-side dedicated cleaner line?

I originally thought the line was a clogged third return, but when I used a drain king from the pool side, it popped the cap off this 1" line on my pad that is not connected to anything. I have two intakes (skimmer and Spa) and two returns (Pool and Spa) where the pool has two return ports.

This third port looks the other returns, but the two returns split underground somewhere as from the return line on the pad, there is is just the 1.5" and 2" returns for the pool/spa.

The 1" is also right next to the spa and skimmer intake lines on the pad, hence my belief it was installed for a cleaner originally.

Okay, well I'm still a little unclear. It sounds like the 1" line goes from a stub at your pad to a fitting inside the pool...correct?

And you are contemplating using it as a dedicated suction line for a suction type cleaner....correct?

correct. Just to clarify the pool side, its just the end of the pvc 1" line. No real fitting.

Yes, I'm thinking of putting a valve on the Skimmer intake and attaching this 1" line to use as a dedicated cleaner.

1" pipes are typically used for cleaners that run off of booster pumps. It won't work very well for a suction side cleaner. The small pipe will greatly reduce the amount of suction you get at the cleaner. Depending on various things it may or may not reduce it so much that the cleaner won't work.

by hooking up the cleaner to the skimmer as normal, and moving my valve (Spa/Skimmer) to reduce the suction on the cleaner, will this give a fair comparison to see if it would work? The skimmer line itself is only 1.5" and the cleaner moves pretty well, maybe even too fast.

The main reason I want to use the separate line is to be able to run the skimmer and cleaner together. Maybe I should give the Vac-mate a try first to see if it will cooperate with the cleaner.

I think your original concern of plugging that 1" line is important. I do not know how many leaves you get but a 1" line would be an impossibility in my pool because of leaves.

I would also say that your size pool would lend itself to a robot and the extra cleaning capacity over a suction side cleaner but that will be your call....a decent robot will be more money.

I agree with both D&J. The 1" line might work for a pressure side cleaner but you are asking for trouble on a suction side cleaner. I think you would be better off using the skimmer with a bypass valve if you need it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know this post is a little old, but I'm wondering what you ended up doing. I'm in basically the exact same situation. I thought I had a clogged return line in my pool, I jetted water into it from the pool side and it turns out that it comes out of a 1" pipe by the pool equipment. I thought it would be perfect for a dedicated pool cleaner suction line, but the 1" size seems a bit too small.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.