Need new pump, want 2 speed. What & where to buy?

Oct 18, 2007
Cedar Hill, TN
My pump is history. It came with the pool about 6 years ago.
What size do I need? 2 HP or 1 1/2?
I would like to get a 2 speed again, but don't know which brand or model would be a good choice. There are so many different models, it makes my head spin.
We have a 15 x 30 AG pool with a sand filter.
Please .. Help!!!

These are some models I found, but don't know anything about them.

Hayward SP15932S Power-Flo Matrix 1-1/2-Horsepower 2-Speed Above-Ground Pool Pump Price: $305.00

Pentair Stainless Steel Black Dynamo Two-Speed 115-Volt Pool Pump without Cord 1 1/2 HP $265.95

Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed $244.77 1 HP?

Pentair Dynamo 1 HP 2-Speed Pool Pump 340204 254.00

In general, the smaller pumps can do just as much as the larger pumps just not as fast but the smaller pumps cost a lot less to run. You can replace with what you have but most manufactures pair pumps that are way to large for the filter they put them on which is why you normally can downsize. I am pretty sure the Dynamo would work fine for your setup but let's make sure:

What type of cleaner do you have?

How is it connected (e.g. through the skimmer or separate port)?

Also, what pump/filter came with the pool, brand/model #?

The cleaner is connected to the skimmer. It's one of those creepy-crawly with the floppy, round rubber circle on the bottom that suctions all the stuff into the connecting hose through the skimmer into the filter.
We had a 2 HP 2 speed A O Smith motor. Serial CB06-12 mod 193743-03
My husband cleaned the rotors last year, but it kept shutting off with grinding noises and would not come on again at the end of last year.
I want to buy this pump: Hayward Pool Pumps SP15932S Power-Flo Matrix Pump 1.5Hp 2 Speed W/6' Cord 115V.
He wants me to find a 2 HP, since that was what we had.

You don't need a 2 HP pump - 1 HP is more than enough and I would seriously consider the 2 speed 3/4 HP Dynamo (high speed for cleaning, low speed for just water circulation / filtering). In fact - if I was looking for a new pump - I'd be looking at the Dynamo myself.

I base this on my experiance of last summer running a 3/4 HP Hayward PowerFlo II for 2 weeks - worked just fine while I was inbetween 1.5 HP pumps. Next pump I buy will likely be be in the 1 HP 2 speed class.

I bought my last pump at a1poolparts.com , but there are plenty of other reputable places as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The sand dollar 250 lbs filter comes with either a 2 HP or a 1 1/2 HP Dynamo pump and since your original equipment came with a Dynamo, I would stick with that. If you look at the specs of the Dynamo, the 1 HP and 1 1/2 HP use the same impeller which means they are the same pump. I had a chat with a Pentair tech and he told me that the 1, 1 1/2 and 2 HP Dynamos are actually all the same pump. They simply play a service factor game with the motor just to satisfy pool owners that believe bigger is better. Also, they told me that a 3/4 HP pump is more than big enough for that filter. If your DH does not believe this, have him call Pentair directly. They should be able to convince him of this.

BTW, is there a service factor number on the motor of your current pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.