Pool Deck Paint?

Mar 24, 2012
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I thought I would try here.

I'm interested in re-painting my pool deck and was curious about what brand(s) might be best. I live near a Leslie's Pools and was looking at their brand Smart Seal deck paint.

It's a concrete deck that was painted an off white when we moved into the house. I'd like a darker color since it shows dirt like white carpet. I can pressure wash the deck and within a week it looks horrible again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

We had spray deck put down, which was basic white. Then we rollered on a Behr Solid Concrete Stain ( Coronado) that we bought at home depot. It has held up well through the winter. Since it is not an integral color in the spray deck material, we can touch up anytime we want with a roller. The reddish brown color of the Coronado works well for dirt as we had a lighter tan color and the dog prints were everywhere.

Kerlee said:
We had spray deck put down, which was basic white. Then we rollered on a Behr Solid Concrete Stain ( Coronado) that we bought at home depot. It has held up well through the winter. Since it is not an integral color in the spray deck material, we can touch up anytime we want with a roller. The reddish brown color of the Coronado works well for dirt as we had a lighter tan color and the dog prints were everywhere.

Thanks Kerlee.

Is this what you used? http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...=-1&keyword=behr concrete stain&storeId=10051

This is over $100 cheaper per 5 gallons, which would be great.

I used tintable concrete paint from Lowes to paint a splash pad a couple years ago. They only had one kind of paint in our area. After 2 years of the kids playing on it and many thousands of gallons of water, its still in great shape. I even added the glitter you can add to make it sparkle, and you can still see it.

It even gets base fines ground into it during the winter when the kids use it as a stage.

I just finished my Pool Deck. I reccomend to look into stains instead of paint. Paint will peel over time (even the "concrete paint")
I used H & C stain. The lighter color around the pool, is Bombay, and the darker color under patio and Gazebo is Sandstone. I chose to go with Solvent Based, not water based as it lasts longer. In the 2nd Coat I stirred in their Shark Grip to eliminate slick areas when its wet. Keep in mind no matter which route you go surface preparation is the key- Throughly wash and if need be (as in my case with the stain) it needed to be etched. It was easy to roll the stain on and I am very satisfied with the results. For 5 gallons, it was $150 at Sherwin Williams, sames stuff at Lowes was $100. I used 8 gallons which included the 2nd coat.

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

still a bit wet in this photo!

photo.jpg

I used the solvent-based H&C concrete stain on my pool deck about 8 years ago, having bought the place two years prior. The cement was horrible looking, no manner of cleaning it or pressure washing it made it look any better, and it completely detracted from the beautiful pool. I originally did it the Bombay color then a few years later reapplied it with the Sandstone color which I much prefer. But I am sad to report that it is now peeling big time - even a heavy rainstorm will start new peeling. I wonder if my mistake was putting additional coats over the original coat. Very disappointing. So now I just continually grab a utility brush--a couple of times a week--to touch up the new areas that begin peeling. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello all. I am new to site and brand new pool owner with lots of questions!
Have to update my profile with description of pool, equipment etc but we are putting
a deck around one end of pool and have been reading different opinions
on paint vs stain for a wooden deck. Tried Restore at last house and it
started chipping after 1 year but wood was in horrible shape and was not exposed to
the amount of water a pool deck would have so not
sure if we should use that on new treated wood or go with a stain that
will allow board to breathe as i have read painting is not recommended. Any suggestions?

I just finished my Pool Deck. I reccomend to look into stains instead of paint. Paint will peel over time (even the "concrete paint")
I used H & C stain. The lighter color around the pool, is Bombay, and the darker color under patio and Gazebo is Sandstone. I chose to go with Solvent Based, not water based as it lasts longer. In the 2nd Coat I stirred in their Shark Grip to eliminate slick areas when its wet. Keep in mind no matter which route you go surface preparation is the key- Throughly wash and if need be (as in my case with the stain) it needed to be etched. It was easy to roll the stain on and I am very satisfied with the results. For 5 gallons, it was $150 at Sherwin Williams, sames stuff at Lowes was $100. I used 8 gallons which included the 2nd coat.

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

still a bit wet in this photo!

photo.jpg

@jhalpinjr or anyone else. How's this holding up??

Reactions: newpoolj
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.