Boric Acid Cautions?

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
Today I added 40lbs of Boric Acid to my pool. While taking the remainder from one bucket to the other, I dumped it. A bit of it when airborne and now the back of my throat/sinuses feel odd. Anything to be overly concerned with?

Thanks!

If it's enough make you concerned, then it might be best to seek a professional opinion such as from a doctor or a poison control center. The product should have an MSDS and an emergency contact number. Below is a quote from a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet).

Inhalation: If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical attention.
CHEMTREC (24HR Emergency Telephone), call: 1-800-424-9300

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927105
It really depends on how much exposure you had to the product. I don't think that a very minor amount would be anything to be concerned about, but I am not a poison control expert or doctor. Another MSDS says this:

Ingestion: Products containing Optibor are not intended for ingestion. Optibor has a low acute toxicity. Small amounts (e.g., a teaspoon) swallowed accidentally are not likely to cause effects; swallowing amounts larger than that may cause gastrointestinal symptoms.

Inhalation: If symptoms such as nose or throat irritation are observed, remove person to fresh air.

Eye contact: Use eye wash fountain or fresh water to cleanse the eye. If irritation persists for more than 30 minutes, seek medical attention.

Skin contact: No treatment necessary because non-irritating.

Ingestion: Swallowing small quantities (one teaspoon) will cause no harm to healthy adults. If larger amounts are swallowed, give two glasses of water to drink and seek medical attention.

24 Hr. Medical Info. Service . . . (661) 284-5200

http://www.hillbrothers.com/msds/pdf/n/boric-acid.pdf

While inhaling is quite a bit different, IIRC boric acid is one of the few pesticides labeled safe for use in food service/preparation areas.

Looking at the MSDS, the LD50 for a 150# person is 6.5oz. So if you can choke down a whole cup full (and not vomit) your odds are only 50/50.

Not a doctor, but your biggest medical risk is probably infection secondary to respiratory irritation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.