Stabilized chlorine tablets

Mar 14, 2008
Stabilised chlorine tablets - 20g

How many of these 20g tablets would it take to have been dissolved into a pool of about 5619 Liters till the stabiliser level is enough that you need to drain the pool.

Any guesses? 4 Months?
Is there a way to work it out?

Regards

Assuming the tablets are trichlor, which seems very likely, it would take about 1000 grams or 50 tablets to raise the CYA level by 100. Depending on how quickly you used them (ie depending on water temperature and bather load) that might be anywhere from one to three months. It is possible to maintain a pool with CYA over 100, though I don't recommend it. If you really wanted to push it you could probably go six months or more. Of course that is without any water replacement. Regular filter backwashing could greatly extend how long you can go.

If all your CYA disappears over the winter and you backwash regularly and your pool season isn't too long and you are careful to never get algae you can use trichlor forever.

You have a cartridge filter on your intex so the time is going to be less than JasonLion quoted above. I think that you will be an a trouble area as far as CYA level is concerned in just a bit over a month to two months.

Great thanx for that info as we had got 30 tablets and wanted to use them up so we can jump into the chlorine bleach method.

Might use them on the Intex pool for a bit until we hit summer then drain it and bleach our ways to easy street.

thank you again all of you

Regards

You should use the trichlor tablets until the CYA is between 30-50 ppm (shoot for around 40 ppm) then stop and switch to the chlorine bleace or cal hypo (calcium hypochlorite!. You WILL need a good test kit that will test for CYA (cyanuric acid) I know you can get Palinetest over there and they have kits that test for it. Just because your pool is a popup does not mean it's not a real pool. You have to test and balance the water just like any other pool!!!!!! This is the biggest mistake that popup pool ownerss make. They think it's 'not a real pool' so they don't test and balance the water and then wonder why they have so many problems! A pool is a pool is a pool, period!

JasonLion said:
If all your CYA disappears over the winter and you backwash regularly and your pool season isn't too long and you are careful to never get algae you can use trichlor forever.

Ok, not to be too dense :wink: , but I thought that the ONLY way to be rid of high CYA is to replace water. How can it "disappear" over the winter?

I had a substantial CYA at the end of last year in the 100+ppm range and I had tons of problems after doing an ascorbic acid treatment for the stains (ascorbic acids really WORKS-too bad you can't swim in THAT, but I had issues afterward which I am unsure are related). So by virtue of an unknown hole in our cover we have pumped out almost 1/2 of the water over the winter and have replaced with fresh over the last month. (I supplmented with about 6 gallons of bleach, 1 Qt Poly 60, just to be safe) I did a quick peek a couple of days ago and conservatively I had these readings:

FC 1
CYA @0 <10 (the reading looked like 0 though)
TA @100
PH@ 7.2

What do you guys suggest for gently raising the CYA (I have an inline trichlor dispenser and would like to use the rest of these pucks before a switch to a SWG next year) while supplementing with bleach. My little peek under the cover yielded a very slight milkiness to the water, although the shallow end was pretty darn clear (of course the stains are back- :cry: ). My husband found a decomposed mouse in the pool, don't know how that contributed? :shock: I hate to say it but the pool guys seemed to do a better job than I do. Even if they got algae, the water tended to be clear (with algae), I tend to get the pool milky. What might I be doing wrong? Specs are below.

Sometimes CYA disappears over the winter. No one is quite what causes that, but the best guess is anaerobic soil bacteria. There are some fairly common soil bacteria that are known to be able to break down CYA. It isn't completely clear under what conditions they can survive in the pool. In any case, CYA disappearing over the winter is a know thing that happens to a fair number of people.

Keep in mind that water testing in the spring before the pump has been run to mix the water up throughly is prone to very large errors.

The water could be milky from dead algae from when you added bleach.

JasonLion said:
Keep in mind that water testing in the spring before the pump has been run to mix the water up throughly is prone to very large errors. The water could be milky from dead algae from when you added bleach.

Ok, that makes sense. Although the water was a little milky before I added anything. Yeah, I was just spitballing on the testing and really curious if the CYA dropped, which it needed to. We had to put a new solid cover on because the other was leaking and they mixed the water quite a bit at that time. I added the extra bleach, because we ended up adding so much fresh water (@50%), that I really didn't want to open to a green pool. I figured if I added enough to shock, it would still be ok. The weather here has been really cold for spring in NJ and raining a lot, so we are waiting until next week to open.

I think that it will be ok. I hope! Thanks for the info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.