Pool service started opening my pool without permision

kenmar

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2009
Schnecksville, PA
Hi all,

For the past 3 years, I had a company open and close my pool.
This year, I was going to try to tackle the opening myself.
On wed, I took my filter, pump, and plumbing out of my shed where I store it for the winter. I cleaned my (de) filter and organized all the equipment on my pool deck.
Fri morning I get up, look outside, and notice all my equipment is GONE! Of course I freak out, thinking it was stolen. I then walked around to the side of the house and noticed the equipment is now connected and setup on the equipment pad.

So, either the pool opening fairys set it up, or the pool service company I had previously used, is trying to get a jump on their season.

My problem is I do not have a contract with them, nor did I call them to authorize them to assemble my equipment.

Note that the equipment still need more setup. I had the presure gauge, and filter o rings in my house.

So, should I have them complete the opening, or make a big deal, and find someone else?

I am actually very angry. I think it is more than a professional curtesy issue. They cam onto my property, touched my equipment, without my explicit authorization. My only fear is if I drop them now, and there is a problem during the opening, I will have no recourse.

If you weren't under contract with them, I find it strange that they would open it for you. Kinda wonder if you are going to send you a bill.

Ken, I believe I would call and ask them what gives. It could be a simple oversight that they overlooked the fact that you did not renew your contract.
However, I also feel they should have alerted you to their arrival schedule as a matter of standard courtesy.

Sent From My Inspire 4G Using Tapatalk

Nice of them to do that FOR FREE.
I'm pretty sure you can't invade someone's property, impose a service on them, and force them to pay for it unless you're a government or a recording label.
Let them know IN WRITING that you did not request this service, and that they need not send you a bill for it.

They obviously screwed up. That said, I suspect there was no malice on their part and probably only good intent.

Simply pick up the phone and talk to them and gauge their reaction. Tell them what you want from here forward and see if their reply is reasonable.

If they give you double talk, hang them out to dry. If, as I suspect, they are apologetic and try to make it right with you, give them the opportunity to do that.

I see no reason to burn a bridge that may not need to be set on fire.

I would emphasize again, "tell them what you want". To call them simply to complain doesn't really work towards a solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with duraleigh. I have had something similar happen in the past, but not with pool service.

I had a contract with True Green for lawn fertilization one summer. The next summer they came at the beginning and fertilized the lawn and billed me for it. Problem was, I had moved and was no longer at the house. Not certain what happened, but they always called in the past to establish their next season before coming and doing the work. They were very apologetic and cleared the debt. :goodjob:

Bobbie

OK, I called them... They told me they were in the area and wanted to remove the drain plugs (so the pool could start refilling with rain water.)
They saw the equipment on the deck, and took it upon themselves to move it to the pad. I really believe they felt like they were doing me a favor.

Had I not decided myself I was going to open the pool myself, I probably would not have cared (as much.)

I just don't feel what they did was "professional." Communication needs to be bi-directional, especially when you are in a client/business relationship. It prevents misunderstandings.

At this point, I am probably going to let them finish. I don't need the hassle of assigning blame if there is a problem with the opening (broken/missing parts, for example.)

kenmar said:
OK, I called them... They told me they were in the area and wanted to remove the drain plugs (so the pool could start refilling with rain water.)
They saw the equipment on the deck, and took it upon themselves to move it to the pad. I really believe they felt like they were doing me a favor.

Had I not decided myself I was going to open the pool myself, I probably would not have cared (as much.)

I just don't feel what they did was "professional." Communication needs to be bi-directional, especially when you are in a client/business relationship. It prevents misunderstandings.

At this point, I am probably going to let them finish. I don't need the hassle of assigning blame if there is a problem with the opening (broken/missing parts, for example.)
If you never cancelled the service, they would have no reason to suspect anything has changed, so it does sound like they were just trying to be helpful and efficient.

On the other hand, and I realize this will probably derail the thread, but oh well, pool services are perhaps the last unregulated business in California. The service I inherited when I bought the house charged reasonably, but didn't do a very good job. And then when they decided I needed a backflush, they did it, and sent the bill. Then in the spring, the annual charge for "stabilizer" even though by then I had my own test kit and discovered the CYA was well over 200. That's when I fired them and started doing research.

The county requires a license, which demands a CPO license. The State? Nothing. I even emailed the Department of Consumer Affairs. They replied with a no. This same department regulates auto repair, beauty parlors, barbers, you name it. But not pool services. I have to deal with a mass of regulations for auto repair. No signature on the estimate, no charge. No approval for additional work, no charge. It would sure be helpful to my wallet if, when I had a car in for an oil change, if I could just go ahead and do the brake job they needed and present the bill after the fact. The Auto Repair Act of 1972 really put the squeeze on the hacks. I wish they'd set up some minimum standards for pool services.

If you never cancelled the service, they would have no reason to suspect anything has changed

Why would I have to cancel anything?
I never signed a contract, I never gave them ANY indication they had my perpetutal authorization to perform the service.

Year 1 : I called to have them close pool
Year 2 : I called to have them open pool
Year 2 : I called to have them to close pool
Year 3 : I called to have them open pool
Year 3 : I called to have them to close pool
Year 4 : I did not call them, yet they started opening the pool.

Communicating with the customer is essential in any business. In this situation, they should have called before they came out, they should have notified you when they arrived (if you were home), and they should have left you a written note of what they did as they left.

I recall hearing a story about a dentist and a patient that went something like this:
Dentist: "Open"
Dentist: "Bite"
Dentist: "Bite"
Dentist: "Wait...OWW! You BIT me."

Personally, I think I'd have let them know that I didn't request the service, and they need not charge me, but if you are wanting the service, then you're right on track.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.