DIY Pool Cover "Pump" Filter

Aug 28, 2009
I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but I don't have one of those pool cover pump covers, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any good ideas. I have a sump pump that's a bottom intake (I use this for my hot tub, and it moves a lot of water.

I don't want to suck up the pool cover or all of the leaves, but it's a dirty water setup, so I don't have to be too anal about it.

I thought about just putting some holes in a bucket, dropping the pump into it, then into the water.

Anyone have any ideas?

I would say pump will pump out faster than water can flow into the bucket if leaves are a problem. Most sump pumps pump a lot of GPM's compared to a pool cover pump. What the heck give it a try if you have a bucket and a pump. Just keep an eye on it so the pump doesn't run dry. Also, my cover pump has a timing function to check for water every so often and if none is present automatically shuts off after a short run.

Interestingly enough, as I was walking out of my office (home) I noticed I had this little basket in here. It's just a small basket with tons of holes in it, but i thought it might be worth a try, and so far...it's working very well. I don't have a TON of leaves on the cover, but I suspect it will do just fine, it's sucking out water now. The cover is pretty full, we've been gone for 2 months.

IMG_0693.JPG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.