Mar 23, 2012
Hello, I would like to ask a favor. I can't afford to replace my decking and add drainage at this time. However, I will have my pool either Quartz plaster or Pebble, add new tile, and replace my plumbing because I have a leak. I just wanted to ask if I needed to do the coping now or can it be done later when I have money along with the new deck that I will do. I am asking because someone told me to do the coping as I am doing the inside of the pool and later all you have to do is the deck and also that some pool contractor won't touch the coping anymore. Sounds odd but is it true???? Any suggestions will be appreciated, Thanks

It's not necessary to do the coping at the same time as the tile, but it's usually a good idea if you can afford to do it. It will take extra work to remove the coping without damaging the tile, in most cases.

Therefore, the cost to do them separately will be a little higher than if you do them at the same time. However, if it works better for you to wait, then that's usually not a problem unless the coping is substantially unbonded or otherwise not structurally sound.

I'm sure that there are some contractors who don't want to do coping, but it's not some sort of widespread thing. Every contractor has things they like to specialize in, and things that they would rather not deal with.

Something to consider: If the coping is marginal in appearance, then it will look worse if the rest of the pool looks brand new.

What type of coping and decking are you considering?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.