water truck or hose

Check with your local fire department, sometimes they will fill pool's but some have stopped doing this unfortunately.
Worth a call anyway :)
We had to fill our pool with the hose, took like 3 days but it will fill :)

What I have found is if you are on a well you need water hauled in. If you are on city water it's much cheaper to use a hose.

Are any of your neighbors close enough by that you can use their hose along with yours to take the strain off your pump?

No close neighbors, so that won't work. Someone suggested putting a timer on our water well to run about 20 min then shut off for 5 min to prevent over heating. Anyone think that would be helpful????
I still can't find a truck but about to call the fire dept, unfortunately we only have a small all volunteer force here in rural South Texas.

My pool took a couple days by hose, personally I wouldn't recommend with a well....but if there's no other options.

Try your fire department, if not then try contacting a local company that does road (re)construction or paving, locally the companies here have a bulk water agreement with our utilities commission that allows them to fill tankers from fire hydrants, these same companies will do pool fills. I think it's a bit of a loop hole in the agreement, but whatever.

If you have a bill that combines water and sewage make sure to call the water department first. Most will give you a brake on the sewage as you're not cycling the water....just using and "storing" it.

We began filling our pool from a garden hose on Wednesday evening with city water. The fill process went something like this for our 7' deep ~23K gallon pool.

Wednesday - 7hrs - bottom 3' filled - stopped upon PB request - need to cut-in vinyl around light fixture - turned off water at midnight
Thursday ~ 15hrs - fill rate appears much slower (larger area being filled), level is now 3ft higher - stopped at midnight
Friday morning - turned on water at 6am - final foot of depth should be filled in ~4hrs. (guess)
Total time will be somewhere around 26hrs

I contacted our local water/sewer utility this morning on advice from some coworkers. The utility will send us rebate forms in the mail. Since pool water will not be returned to the sewer system for treatment they offer a refund for that portion of the bill. In my case sewer is about 40% of the monthly bill. So instead of paying ~$350 in water and sewage fees when all is said and done it will have cost something like $200 to fill the pool. I'm guessing it would've taken at least 2 trucks to fill my pool and the water plus delivery fees would've been much higher than $200.

Hope you find this info helpful.

When we had our pool installed the pool store suggested a guy to truck in water. I noticed he got his water from a hydrant across the street. :scratch: Possibly ask the pool store if they can suggest someone to haul in water. We paid around $125, I believe it was about 4k gallons (then filled the remainder by hose). I remember it being quick, maybe half an hour.

Filled from our well, took 21 hrs to pump 33000 gal +-. I had 3 hoses running full, did'nt think about the pump possibly overheating although since it is submerged withh approx 100' of water above it I doubt that could happen. If the water level dropped to the pump maybee it would have. My well documentation claims 50 gal per minute, but 21 hrs for 33000 gal equates to approx 26 gal per min. We have good water here with no iron, but a little manganeeze, and it's a 9.5 on the hardness scale.

Many volunteer fire departments sell tanker loads of water as a fundraiser. The department I belong to doesn't; it doesn't have a tanker, filling with an engine would take too many trips, not cost effective. So, don't be afraid to inquire.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.