Intellitouch i5+3 (or other automated control pad)

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
Just as I thought I had all of my equipment ready to buy, mys sister says I should go with an automated inhouse control pad. Probably right, but have not researched that information too thoroughly.

My first question, is a control pad something you can add in a few years or does it have to be done now???

I did find that Pentair makes the Intellitouch i5+3, which I do not know if that would still be overkill for my system.

This is what we will have on our pool
18'6 x 36 ig vinyl grecian-l
7 - 4x16 solar panels for heat source
Autopilot DIG220 SC60 SWG
LED color lights
a step-n-spa that has 3 contoured seats with 3 jets that the manuf said are plumbed separately
Intelliflo 4x160 pump (VS-3050)
Pentair DE filter

**no extra water features**
Can't think of anything else that might be connected to a control pad...hhmmm.

Suggestions please....thx.

If you are going with the intelliflo pump then the pentair controllers will 'talk' to the pump the best. The controller will control your pump/filter, lights, most likely your spa, solar heat controller (don't know if the pentair has the solar controller built in, the goldline units do but I don't know if they will talk to the pump).
The reason to install it with the initail build is because all the elelctrical will be wired into the control panel and actuators will need to be installed on all your valves and wired in. The inside remote is NOT the control panel. That will be outside near your equipment pad.
I don't know if the Pentair unit offers SWG as an option off the top opf my head since I am temporarily out of work (accident with a basketball to the head--don't ask!) so I can't really check all the product specs in the manufacturer's literature and catalogs (the Goldline units do, that I know). While the Autopilot DIG is probably the best SWG out there using one more integrated into the automation will most likely be more cost effective. This is why I chose the Goldline over the Autopilot for my own pool.

An automated control system is always easier and cleaner to install during pool construction, but they can definitely be added later. Pentair controls aren't my favorite, but they do work well, and would be a good choice with your Intelliflo. The only difficult part with adding controls later, is that if you haven't planned ahead you can't have a wired wall-mount control. You will have to go with a wireless one. If you are early enough in construction stages, you can have the builder run a 3/4" conduit from the pool equipment to the outside of the wall that you would want to mount a wired control. Then when you are ready to upgrade, you just pull the low voltage wire through the pipe and you're ready to mount the control on the wall. You can always go wireless without the trouble though.. Personal preference rules there.

LeeD said:
The only difficult part with adding controls later, is that if you haven't planned ahead you can't have a wired wall-mount control. You will have to go with a wireless one. ... Personal preference rules there.
And Budget!!!!!!! Wireless controls are more expensive than wired, even with installation costs in many cases.

When we got our Pentair Intelliflo pump, we also got the Intellitouch including a wired control in our house. It wasn't that big a deal and these guys are used to drilling holes and wiring into walls. The wired control in the house is (for us) the only way to program the system. At the main control box, you can turn things on and off in service mode, but you can't program anything. Yes, you can program the pump directly on the pump itself, but the Intellitouch will override that so the only way to program the Intellitouch itself is via a control such as the wired one in our house. I suppose you could have a programmed control at the main control box, but I don't see the point of that (except to see the flow rate if you set the RPM which stupidly is not shown on the pump but is shown on the wired control).

Anyway, it works out great and it's really nice to see the water temperature from inside the house and to be able to turn on the gas or other features without going to the pump shed. This was NOT cheap, however.

Richard

Waterbear - I am, not opposed to purchasing Goldline SWG or anything else they offer that will help the pool process to be easier to maintain. I found it easier to follow Autopilot's website and when I called their cust svc, they told me exactly what I needed. Goldline kept transferring me after I called Cust Svc, to sales to technical. No one "wanted" to give me the model #'s of the items I would need for the SWG. My pb has not installed many SWG's and he does not offer either of the two brands I really want. Would you like to assist me in determining what I need from Goldline?? I know my solar is going to have a Goldline control(GL-235), but I was going to upgrade that to the AquaSolar. Is there some control panel I can consolidate with the solar, SWG and other items. TIA.

I believe waterbear is talking about the Goldline Aqua Logic PS-8, and other related models (PS4 & PS16). You can sometimes find them sold in kits that include a main control panel, one remote, 2 valve actuators, and a SWG though they are usually sold as individual parts. The PS-8 is capable of switching eight AC circuits and four valve actuators as well as controlling a solar system and operating the SWG, with all functions available from the remote. The price for the SWG feature is very attractive since you are essentially only paying for the cell; the controller already has the power supply.

You can see a list of the various parts and their approximate prices at Internet dealers like this one. (I am not recommending them, they just have a nice web page listing the systems and their parts.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found a few pkgs like the one you have linked. A few more ?'s now.

1) I was going to upgrade to the next bigger cell with Autopilot (SC60 - 50kgallons). It seems Aqualogic only has up to 40k gallons. Is this a big deal?

2)If I only get the P-4 unit, is this adequate or do I have to get the PS-8. I will not have a spa or spillover so I do not want to necessarily pay for a feature that will never be used. Can you help me figure out exactly how many aux. and valves things I should have.

Sorry, still in the very early learning stages of pool terminology and parts.

Will have:
18x36 grecian lazy-l ig vinyl
intelliflo 4x160 pump
solar panels, which will be the only heat source
LED light
filter - trying to decide btwn Quad or just sand

You would be fine with the PS-4. The P-4 doesn't do solar. Keep in mind that most people end up wanting more circuits over time. You will have some room to grow with a PS-4, but the PS-8 isn't that much more expensive and is usually worth it in the long run.

Because you have an IntelliFlo pump there are advantages to going with the Intellitouch. The Intellitouch will have more information about the pump on the remote (though not such a big deal with the 4x160) and will be able to switch speeds. The PS-4/8 will be able to turn the pump on and off but will require an IntelliComm unit (around $400) to switch pump speeds.

Jasonlion - from what I have looked at with the Goldline P-4, it says it does do solar on their website..solar (1). Are you saying I cannot eliminate the GL-235 control and just use the P-4 instead? Would you mind looking again and confirming either way.

Also which Intellicomm unit are you referring too?

Thx.

You are right the P-4 does handle solar.

All of the Pentair automation systems, EasyTouch, IntelliTouch, and SunTouch are able to control the pump speed on an IntelliFlo pump through a direct data connection. Other brands of automation systems normally need to use one relay per speed connected through an IntelliComm unit to have control over the pump speed. Pentair barely mentions the IntelliComm at their web site but various stores carry it, for example here or here. Pentair does talk about it on page 9 of the IntelliFlo manual.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.