Motor not working?

smitt

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2011
[attachment=0:3cezaf2s]photo 2.JPG[/attachment:3cezaf2s]I just noticed my there is not water running in the pump,
The Jandy Aquapure shows no service/error code.
when I turn the pump on, it makes the running noise for 3-4 seconds and then goes silent. No noise of the working pump. The pump motor was very hot on touching, so I am assuming I had lost the pump motor and it needs to be replaced.
i would appreciate if you could tell me what motor it is, I am attaching the pictures of the motor.
its about 18, 000 gallon salt water pool. I was wondering whats the advantage of having a 2 speed motor.
the pump is Jandy Stealth SHPM2.0
Another thing I wanted to know is, if the motor can be repaired at all, or it has to be replaced?
Appreciate all the help.
Thank You

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 108
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 108
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 107
What you have is a B2842 Centurion motor.

First a couple of questions.
Does the pump actually run during those 3 to 4 seconds or does it just make a humming noise?
Have you tried manually turning the shaft with the power off?

It could be just a bad capacitor (the bump on top) and if so, they're easy to replace.

If it's a bad motor then you can change just the motor out with a 2-speed. You could use a B2983 or a B983. The 2983 has a low speed sfhp of .28 and the B983 has a low speed sfhp of .37.

It just makes the humming noise for 3-4 seconds, the pump doesn't run.
How do I turn the shaft with power off? i will try to find the shaft.
and how do I diagnose that its a bad capacitor and not a bad motor? What kind of capacitor should I buy if I just want to check if its bad capacitor?

Thank You.

The one part of the motor you didn't take a picture of was the back cover. However, If you remove that you should be able to see the end of the shaft. There'll either be a screwdriver slot or flats for a wrench on it. Just try and turn it and if it turns fairly smoothly I'd suspect the capacitor.

To replace the capacitor just remove the screw(s) in the bump and take it off. The capacitor is under that. It just unplugs. replace it with the same (or very close) mfd rating and a equal or higher voltage rating. If you have a local electric motor shop they'll have them in stock most likely.

The Capacitor doesnt mention the MFD value. How to find the MFD. Is it the UF value mentioned there?
Thanks

Edited, I guess I figured it out. its 50 micro farad, not 50 UF

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 71
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 71

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Changed the capacitor today, and the pump is working.
The capacitor was a little too big to fit in the "hump", so just need to find the right size, or order it online.
Thanks a lot everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.