Electrical question...

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
when we set up the new to us pool....can we just use an industrial extension cord for our pump like we did the last 4 years with the intex? We have a hayward pump/de filter and never had a problem with it. Hubby just unplugs it and rolls it up when its time to mow.

It really doesn't matter if it's an aboveground. Some jurisdictions classify permanently installed aboveground pools the same as inground pools. You need to check with your local authority to see if that's the case.

In any case "I" would recommend running a receptacle out to the pool in conduit and put a gfci device on it.

Also if it's a metal walled pool it needs to be bonded. And in some cases the local authority requires even Intex pools to be bonded.

Listen to what JohnT and Bama are saying.

Is the pool going to be greater than 42" in depth?

From definition section of NEC 680.2:
Permanently Installed Swimming, Wading, Immersion, and
Therapeutic Pools. Those constructed in the ground or partially
in the ground, and all others capable of holding water
in a depth greater than 42 in., and all pools installed inside of
a building, regardless of water depth, whether or not served
by electrical circuits of any nature.

You should check with your local authority to see how they view the pool your are installing.

wow..what the heck is "bonding"????? All my neighbors..well...we live WAY out in the country..so our neighbors down the road are like 1/2 mile away from us and between houses down the road. We all have regular intex pools and I can put my paycheck on it..no one has their 52" deep intex pools bonded. They all have cords running to the pumps, and unplug them when not in use. I have never heard of such a thing and don't even know what it means. But if its going to be all this extra work and cost...I'm selling the pool and just buying another intex. When I watch the videos on youtube of a set up and install...i don't see anything other than them putting the pool up and together. And in the instructions that came with the pool..I can't see anything in it about "bonding".

texasdad said:
My understanding: Bonding is just a fancy word for grounded. If the pump or etc ever shorted out and allowed electricity to leak into the pool you want the electricity to have a way out.
No it is not grounding, it is equipotential bonding, meaning that the metal parts in and around the pool (within reachof the pool) and the pool deck are all at the same potential (i.e. voltage, which may or may not be equal to th grounding systems potential). In some jurisdictions it is not okay to also attach the bonding to a ground wire (but in most it is okay). If you google this site you will find examples of people being able to feel that potential between the water and the pool deck when bonding was not done correctly. Here is an example: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-bonding-not-so-good-t35431.html Both bonding and grounding are required by NEC Article 680.

Not to be harsh but. Bonding isn't a fancy word for grounding. They are often confused and misunderstood but they perform two distinctly different functions.

You can successfully bond the pool and never ground it. The bonding grid is to make sure every metal part in or within 5' of the water remains at the same potential so you don't get shocked if you touch something. There are many discussions about bonding if you want to search for it.

Linen beat me but I'm posting it anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
Linen beat me but I'm posting it anyway.
I should have known you show up on this on Bama, if I was smart I would have waited...less work for me :-D

I wonder if we should have an advance reading link in poolschool that we can point to on this subject? We could at least compile a set of links to let people self inform...

Bonding a pool is definitely not grounding. Here's the crux of the deal... our power distribution system is designed to have one conductor grounded, or connected to the earth. This is a safety mechanism so that if a short-to-ground of a current carrying conductor should occur, the circuit protection (fuse or breaker) will trip and shut the circuit down. This has the additional effect of placing the earth and the neutral conductor of the distribution grid in parallel, which means that current can flow through both. I was taught that in some areas, over 30% of the actual power distribution current flows through the earth. )I'm sorry that I do not have, offhand, a citation to the source of this percentage; I am pulling it from memory). This is sometimes referred to as stray current or stray voltage.
Think about this - 30% of the current of the US power distribution grid is flowing through the ground, even in some seriously remote areas. Additionally, unbalanced loads on various neighboring installations, bad neutral wiring, improper installations, and other nearby factors can cause even more current to flow through your yard, field, or pasture. If your pool, or pool ladder, or something else you can touch in your yard lies in the path of some of these stray currents, it can become energized to a different voltage, or potential, than other equipment, and present a deadly electrocution hazard should you or your loved ones manage to touch the two at the same time. It is this danger that the bonding system is designed to protect against.

So the two, grounding and bonding, are not the same thing.

Stray Voltage https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Stray_voltage

Stray Voltages In Dairies http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ae019

A silent killer - Poppler battles stray current for two years http://dairystar.com/main.asp?SectionID ... cleID=4312

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.