Old house, Old pool----Game On!

Here we go. I recently purchased a house with a 35,000 gallon Anthony swamp in the yard. :hammer:

Just like the rest of the house ,the pool is a total fixer upper. I purchased the house from an estate, so the details are sketchy or non-existent as far as what has been done with the pool or the last time it was opened. The only thing I was told is that it was properly closed up 2-3 years ago and from what I can tell, it hasn't been touched since. The only good thing I can see is that it is a vinyl lined pool and it's currently filled right to the top of the skimmer. So it's not leaking and the liner appears to be intact. This weekend I plan to get the mesh safety cover off and get a good look at things.

The specs are pretty basic - 20x40 In-ground, with a Hayward Super Pump and sand filter. I'll know more once I get it uncovered.

The deck is shot, and I need to put up a fence since there is none now. So the next 4 weekends will be jam packed with work to get the old concrete deck out and the ground work done a new concrete paver deck before the fence goes up and cuts off my access to get equipment in there.

Here goes nothin' ! :whip:

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new(ish) house!! These forums will be your best friend as you learn pool care. The best advice I can offer is: study pool school as much as you can, put your equipment in your sig box (so we can accurately help in the future), and don't ever be afraid to ask questions!

Here ya go!

Some more details.

Pump - 1HP Super pump
Filter - S244T Sand Filter

Just some pictures to give you all a clue as to what I'm working with.

As she sat for 2-3 years

"custom" wood deck, complete with outdoor carpet.

The plant, complete with broken fittings and sketchy wiring

Some of the tired old decking.

Uncovered

There was a pool on the forum last year that looked almost identical to this. It can be cleaned up and beautiful.

Go buy more bleach than you ever thought you'd see in one place! :)

Now would also be the time to buy a TF-100 test kit with the XL option and a Speedstir. You won't regret it.

I hear ya.

I already have the test kit.

I've been thinking about putting the Walmart "home Free" shipping to the test. They have 182 Oz of 6% bleach online (currently out of stock) for $2.98, not the greatest price out there, but if they will drop say.....60 gallons at my door for free it would be so worth it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support