Fafco solar heat controller ?

Mar 22, 2012
Tampa
So I have this Fafaco solar heat controller that turns on and stays on when the switch is in the "on/test" position. I then set the temperature that I want , place the switch in the "auto" position. I can hear and see the valve/motor open up, and then it shuts off, and then it opens, and then it shuts off. sometimes it only starts to open and then closes. I can hear the relay click when it opens and closes.
I am prety sure its either a temperature sensor or a relay. the question is if it is the temperature sensor is it the one by the solar panels or is it the one by the plumbing? or is it a flakey relay.
Thanx.

inside of the box it says Fafco solar heat controller, but I did a search for images of solar heat controllers and there it was..... it says Fafco but I think its a stamp. The actual brand is the helitrope or a Helio-Matic HM4000C.

Both sensors are used. Sensor on the roof verifies that the panels are in the sun (cloud has not parked over the panels, or that it is not night time), and the sensor in the plumbing verifies that the water temp is lower than the temp you have set. I would start with the sensors as they are cheaper than the main board(if you can still get it). Haven't seen those controllers(in use) in quite a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.