Above Ground on a slope

Mar 19, 2008
Alabama
We are trying to put an above ground pool in but we live on a significant slope. We are planning to dig down as much as possible (we are also on bedrock) so we can give the pool an "in ground" look with decking all around. We are concerned about drainage issues though. Do we need to dig a drainage ditch extending from the lowest side of the pool?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

If its like an Intext Easy Set Pool

Intext Easy Set Pool

If its like one of those pools then you have a drainage connector that comes with the pool, you then connect the hose pipe to it and it allows it to slowly drain with a small amount of pressure. i have mine facing a drain, but i also had it filling into the garden so if u can water an area for like 10 hours and it can still recover then just allow it to drain on to any ground like that, but if it naturally floods then may need retry something else... not sure at the moment of any ideas.

Hopefully someone can say from experience of this scenario

Regards

Deep Blue,
the OP means drainage to drain surface water away from the pool, not to drain out the pool.

I don't know much, but some AG pools are made to be buried or partially buried (doughboy comes to mind) and some are not.

Could you simply dig down to level, but not put the entire pool in the ground? Then on the downward side of the slope, you will be at ground level, making surface drainage a non-issue...

This last scenario is what we plan to do when we build our permanent AG pool, with decking all around, similar to what you mention.

Welcome to TFP!

If you have a slope down toward the pool you will need drainage. Trust me. Our pool was installed and freshly filled when we had a very severe rain storm. Water ran off the hill behind the pool and washed away some of the sand layer. Sigh. They had to drain it, remove the liner, put more sand, etc etc.

Then they put a drain pipe, some flexible black thing with slits along the pool on the hill side and piled a dirt berm over it and up against the pool. Sounds ugly but you can't really see it unless you go hill climbing.

Of course we haven't had such a rain since but if we do . . .

tlelliott said:
We are trying to put an above ground pool in but we live on a significant slope. We are planning to dig down as much as possible (we are also on bedrock) so we can give the pool an "in ground" look with decking all around. We are concerned about drainage issues though. Do we need to dig a drainage ditch extending from the lowest side of the pool?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

We are putting an in-ground pool on a slope and believe me - you need drainage pipe. You can get corrugated 4" drain pipe (with holes in it) and run it all along the front of the pool and slope it down both sides down to somewhere in the back of your yard. The picture shows the back of our inground pool. Putting up the retaining wall now.
backsidepool.jpg

If I were to use any corrugated drain tubing that will be buried I would definitely use the fabric "sock" or sleeve. Even if your going to bury the pipe with a layer of gravel...I would still use the sleeve. I wish Dennis (the above ground pool expert) participated here...he's really a wealth of information.

What size pool? what's the pitch of your yard in the area that you want to put the pool?

dan

Attachments

• drainage.jpg
    drainage.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 657
a tip for the sleeve. I usually would cut about a three foot length of 6" or even 8" pvc, and slip a whole bunch of the sock on it. Then lay out the drain tile, and slip the 6" sleeve over an end, tie a knot in the end of the sock, and just pull it along. This is way easier than any other method of putting the sock on. I have even gone so far as to cut handles in the PVC to make pulling it easier.

here is my ABG pool that is built on a slight slope.

Some recommended plastic and some recommended weed blocker. I used the plastic because wanted to prevent water that the pipe didn't catch to not go under the pool. Some think it may cause a rusting problem.

The deepest part is 2 feet.
I laid the plastic down so it went up the side of the pool and up over the top of the bank.

I was going to used the white pepples. to totally fill it. The one yard of rock that i bought barely coverd 40 feet of pipe.
It ran $70 a yard. So i ended up filling it with mulch. It took another 6 yards of mulch at $24 a yard.

We have had a few good rains and the water runs out of it pretty good.

The drain does got out the backside. I need to extend them to wear they go over the bank.

I also have my backwash line ran out with the drain pipes.
PICT0401.jpg

PICT0402.jpg

PICT0403.jpg

When i was installing AGP's we would just backfill it with a mix of sand and concrete (3 to 1 if my memory doesn't fail me).
You put a layer of dry mix around the pool, and then you water it. Then you put another layer and so on.
Once it sets, it doesn't let water to get in and gives the pool walls extra support. You can then tile over it, put mulch, or just grass, or do the decking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.