Pool Pump Timers

Mar 12, 2012
Maryland
I just have a standard switch for my pump. I have to turn it off/on during the day. I have a Hayward sand filter and a 1hp 115 vac pump. 13,500 gal 24' above ground pool.

I'm looking at digital and mechanical timers? Which ones tends to be the best?

Consensus around here is that it's hard to beat an Intermatic mechanical timer for a retrofit. They wear like iron, fairly simple to install, and you can retrofit a digital timer into the Intermatic casing if you want (Tightwatt).

I bought my Intermatic 220V at Lowes for 60 bucks, not sure of the model number.

The Intermatic mechanical timers are pretty much bombproof.

We had one at the Boy Scout camp where I worked summers when I was in college. It worked perfectly, and it must have been ten years old by then. An apartment I lived in had one that was probably even older; it was rusty but still worked. I have no complaints with mine, either, although I'm guessing it's only about 5 years old. Still, it's outside in an electrical box with no roof over it. And extra pointers are easily available if you want to set it up to go on and off more than once in a 24 hour period.

Steppinthrax-just re-read your original post. You've got an AGP with a 115V pump. If you have a plug on the end of the cord to the pump, your choices will increase. If you have a hard-wired application from a circuit breaker at a subpanel, Intermatic has a 110V application as well.

I just bought an intermatic T101 online. I did some reading on these. They seem to be the best. My pump is a plug in, but the previous owner installed a hard switch between the plug and the pump, so I'll just remove that switch and replace it with this timer.

A lot of us here have these timers, and like Richard and I mentioned, they are durable and reliable. Instructions are easy to follow....took me about 15 minutes to install.

Have fun!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.