Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rising PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Rising PH

It's probably here in the forum but I can't find the answer so I'll ask it again. What causes PH to rise?
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Outgassing of carbon dioxide. Aeration speeds this up. Also, in plaster pools the the plaster finish itself can cause a pH rise by leaching alkaline material into the water.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks, but what exactly does that mean?
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Perhaps this thread from Poolforum might help explain it. Check my answer in the second post.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Thanks, now all I have to do is understand it.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Ok, here is the REALLY simple answer. Your pool is carbonated, we call the measurable part of this (which are carbonates and bicarbonates) TA. The non measurable part (by our testkit) is carbonic acid or carbon dioxide dissolved in water (not completely the same but for our purposes here they are). You might know carbonic acid by it's common name, club soda or seltzer water. When you shake up a bottle of club soda (areate it) it goes flat (carbon dioxide outgasses). You have now decreased the amount of carbonic acid (keyword here is acid) so the pH rises.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Got it! Thanks