I just broke a pipe... :(

graffster

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
I"m so upset. I FINALLY got my pool where it should be. I d know that I desperately need a new cartridge for my filter, so I was looking at at it so I could know what to buy. The info is on the back, and as I wedged myself back in there, I stepped on a pipe. Thought I was OK, until I heard the water draining out of the filter. I turned it on, and water started leaking out at the connection into the filter. I'm so afraid to look at it. What do I do???????

:( :( :(

Shut off the water to the filter. You will need to disconnect the plumbing to the filter to see if it is a broken pipe or if the fitting on the filter broke where the pipe is connected. Pipes can be replaced without too much fuss. If the filter itself is broken then it is time for a new filter. If you end up re-plumbing the equipment pad, give yourself a little more room to access the equipment and write down all the equipment information and keep it in a file.

What zea3 said x100. Especially the give yourself more room. I used to put in water softener system for rainsoft and hated the way some people plumbed. I was no professional plumber by any means but I was a smart one. I always left enough room when I could so you could work from any angle. Noticed I said when I could. There is always those times that things happen like when I put a system into a very small pump house per the customer. There was very little room to move before hand much less after I put all that stuff in there.

Thanks for the replies. If I didn't have my "over 40" eyes, I'd probably be ok. The label was on the back side and the print was so small that I needed to get eye-level with it. That's when I lost my balance and took a bad step. :(
I'm going to have someone come out and look at it tomorrow. I'm worried, though. We've had a hard time lately even keeping up with the pool because our finances are so tight. Buying a new filter isn't even a possibility right now. Guess there's no options there, huh?

Thanks for the help.
Kathy

I did the same thing except on my multiport valve. I stepped on the backwash pipe, ended up breaking the clear PVC pipe exiting the multiport valve. Thought I would have to replace the whole valve as the pipe was broken 1/2 way into the valve fitting as I thought you could never take a PVC joint apart. However at the local plumbing store for $25.00 they sell a 2" schedule 40 PVC joint reamer. Cleaned out in 5 minutes. Other way to clean out junction fitting is with a hacksaw blade making small slits and chipping out pieces of pipe. Send some pics of your problem

Re: I just broke a pipe... :( UPDATE>>>Good News!

Hallelujah!!!! :party: It was only the "o-ring" inside the connection into the filter!!! A $2.49 part!!!!!! Can't tell you how happy that makes me!!!!

Now, back to the cartridge. Anyone have a great (inexpensive!) place to buy????

Thanks again for the help, friends!! :cheers:

Kathy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.