Algae on pool cover due to warm (hot) early spring.

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
We live in upstate NY north of Syracuse and we use a black tarp for a winter pool cover. There is about 6"-8" of water on top of it. With March temperatures way above normal and lots of sun, there is a lot of algae forming on the cover. Is it a problem? Just to illustrate how warm it has been, the average high for this time of year is 46F. Today we hit 79F. I'm tempted to take the cover off the pool, but I know that sub-freezing temps are still in our future. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Obviously black attracts heat thus causing the warmer water for algae to blossom. I'd pour a gallon of Clorox (generic is fine) in the water. That should kill it. When you do take off the cover try not to add the algae water to the pool. Place it on your lawn or driveway and hose it off. Let it dry and a helpful hint I do is sprinkle baby powder of the cover before you roll it up or fold it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.