Yet another new build thread - Central Florida

Mar 5, 2012
Central FL
Hi everyone, new guy here! I've been reading this forum religiously for weeks now, and in that time I've learned so much. Thank you for all of the incredibly useful information, it has been quite helpful. We signed a build contract over a month ago with a reputable PB in Central FL who comes highly rated, and I was 100% clueless about everything pool-related, relying solely on them for information. Of course, with all of my new knowledge I've gleaned from TFP, I'm sure he absolutely hates the constant calls with new questions. :)

I've included a few progress pics of our build. They staked the layout just over a week ago. Luckily, the weather has been more than favorable. I think this is the best time to have a pool built. I did freak out a bit after they staked out the masonite thinking that it was going to be too small, and when they dug the hole I freaked out even more, but I think we will make great use of the extra deck space. Our designer said one of the biggest regrets he's heard over the 30 years he's been doing pool design is, "I wish we had more deck space." After they shot the gunite yesterday, I can say that I'm very happy with the size. It's big enough for maximum frolicking, yet not so massive that I'll despise maintaining it. Depth is 3ft to 6ft. Anyway, here are the pics! Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Jose

Finished look
142ey5h.jpg

Before breaking ground
24qkbqd.jpg

Layout staked
15certl.jpg

Big ol' hole!
241l3dv.jpg

Steel
9bdta1.jpg

Gunite!
mv2f5s.jpg

Welcome to tfp, Z06Boricua :wave:

Looks like it will be a great looking pool!

Get your test kit on order (see link in my sig), you will need it soon. So many expectant pool owners overlook this important tool until their baby comes down with something (algae) :wink:

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, Z06Boricua :wave:

Looks like it will be a great looking pool!

Get your test kit on order (see link in my sig), you will need it soon. So many expectant pool owners overlook this important tool until their baby comes down with something (algae) :wink:

Thanks linen! And yes, I will be sure to order a TF-100 for proper testing. I've also been reading Pool School over and over, and will most likely maintain using the BBB method. All of the information is a bit overwhelming, but I know it will all get easier. Thanks again! :)

Jose

Thanks everyone! I'll continue updating with pics as the build progresses. Tomorrow they do pre-grade, then Tuesday plumbing... or maybe it's the other way around. At any rate, I'll continue to get lots of pictures. I just cannot wait to swim in it! I'd say my main concern right now is startup. Everything I keep reading talks about how important it is to maintain the proper pH and stuff because the plaster can be so finicky and any issues could possibly affect the final result of the plaster. I just hope I don't have any serious issues with mottling or white streaks. I really hope I'll be able to make it to the end of this build without suffering a stroke. :p

Jose

Brentr said:
Welcome your pool is going to look great. Keep the pics coming :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks Brent! I really hope it turns out as envisioned. They pre-graded yesterday and ended up using all of the dirt they originally dug up, which squashed my hopes of using some of it to raise a few low spots around my property, but oh well. It's really starting to look like a pool! Plumbing starts on Tuesday. I've been wetting the gunite down religiously twice a day. One thing that bugs me is that every gunite shell I've seen has pipe stubs embedded in the walls at shooting time, yet on my pool they just left holes for the returns/vacuum, etc. I'm guessing the plumber will run his pipes through the holes and they'll be cemented in, but I hope it'll be as strong as the ones I've seen! I have a pic of the graded area with stakes removed, but I won't be able to upload it until tonight.

Jose

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are some more pics! They pre-graded the deck area the other day and the plumber has been out here the last few days doing his thing. He's finally done, and just needs to have it inspected tomorrow morning so he can backfill. Waterline tile will be going in around the middle of next week. Lemme tell ya, those days where nothing gets done are LOOOONG! Sorry for all the pictures but progress excites me...

Equipment pad
2j4efs5.jpg

Main trench
11u9b0k.jpg

Madness
35lrqj6.jpg

Skimmer and return plumbing
wa0kcj.jpg

Waterbox plumbing
2lmx8ia.jpg

Shallow-end return
25utp1j.jpg

Early swimmer!
20sescm.jpg

Gently removing our pool guest
a2rwd2.jpg

No snakes were harmed in the process of removal, I promise! :)

Thanks for looking,
Jose

linen said:
Looking good! What kind of snake is that?

Thanks linen! I've been pretty happy with everything so far. The only thing I need to ask my PB is about the stairs... I'm not a fan of those sharp 90deg edges and I don't know if they'll be rounded off with the plaster or not. I can just see many years of banged up shins in my future.

The snake is a Black Racer, a VERY common nonvenomous constrictor around these parts. Being originally from Philadelphia, they freaked me the heck out when first moved down to Florida, but now I'm used to them and they don't bother me at all. He was actually pretty friendly and let me get him out of the pool and into some shade. Poor little guy was probably in the sun for a while before I spotted him in there. They do a great job of eating insects, rodents, moles, and other nuisance animals around the yard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coluber_constrictor_priapus

Jose

Hey guys,

It's been quite a while since I've had an update. Here are some more pics! We just passed our safety inspection this morning so the only thing left is plaster, fill, cleanup, final grade, and final inspection. Since my last update ages ago, we've had the footer poured around the perimeter along with planter boxes formed, the waterline tile and curved waterbox installed, flagstone coping on the elevations installed, pavers laid with drains, 3-head robellini planted, and screened enclosure erected. I will be travelling next week, so we asked the PB to push back the plaster/fill another week but I should have water going into the pool in exactly 2 weeks! I should also have my TF Testkit waiting for me at home today. :)

These aren't the best pics, but heck they're better than nothing!

qyd5Q.jpg

BYqeK.jpg

WcxrL.jpg

9m986.jpg

XN6xz.jpg

1MgsF.jpg

ypiKJ.jpg

0EHJN.jpg

danivdp said:
Very nice, Love the pavers!!

Thanks! We did run into a bit of an issue with the pavers actually... The installers ended up making very long joint runs, some over 5 and 6 feet long. The paver manufacturer's site says to keep runs under 36" to keep the random look, so I made them go around and fix it. They were also going to install 5 black square drains, which looked like total Crud. The PB said that I would eventually not even see them, but instead I spent like 20 bucks on 5 tan drains online and had them install those. They're virtually invisible now.

Jose

Alright guys, time for an update and some new pics! The pool is now full and running as of yesterday morning! We were supposed to have plaster last Wed, but anyone who lives in this area knows that the rains have been pretty unforgiving these last few weeks. They emptied and cleaned out the shell on Wed but decided to call it off. Friday would've been a perfect day to do it, but the forecasts were showing a 60% chance of showers so they called it off. The plaster guys really wanted to get it done, so the owner of the company decided to just do it on Saturday as we had a very small window of opportunity then.

They showed up early Saturday morning and did their thing, which I must say was quite impressive! It was nice to be able to hang out and watch them work. The pool was already cleaned out so they just had to pump out the rain water from the last few days and went to work. By 3pm we had the hose in and started the fill. It was completely full by 5pm on Sunday. They came out yesterday morning and started her up, and she's humming away nicely now. I've been brushing the heck out of it but I'm happy to report no bad staining or mottling yet!

One issue I had that absolutely freaked me out was during the fill, it started raining badly... The walls of the pool got wet with runoff from the deck/tiles, and I developed some brown streaking on some parts. I was assured by the PB that it will come off with brushing, and it has definitely begun to lighten dramatically so I'm hoping it goes away. I took pictures of the streaking which I've included below. I apologize for the hazy shots, but I didn't realize that my lens had fogged over outside until I pulled the pics from my camera. Enjoy!

Dry enough to walk on:

Eu60o.jpg

RL15l.jpg

N5P2K.jpg

After water wash and acid wash:

hSwzi.jpg

9rUyR.jpg

Commencing the fill!

dVCIv.jpg

Brown streaks on walls after heavy rain:

XVbI7.jpg

GKrxk.jpg

Almost full, about 2" to go:

Cri8g.jpg

UyV3P.jpg

L0Vjq.jpg

0uM9W.jpg

FINALLY up and running! :D

CJMS1.jpg

rn7hX.jpg

ETlvb.jpg

I've taken chlorine/pH with my TF-100 and chlorine seems to be below .5ppm with pH being below 7. The startup guy threw 3 pucks in the chlorinator so we'll see how much things change. Pool school is tomorrow! Whew, what a process. We broke ground in the middle of March and were quoted 6-8 weeks to completion. I'm so happy for it to be over and I can just swim. Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed the pics!

Jose

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.