Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just got my Intelliflow 3.2kw, any advice about installing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Just got my Intelliflow 3.2kw, any advice about installing?

Just got my Intelliflow 3.2kw pump (sitting in my livingroom). Does anyone have any advice about installing it or setting it up.

How important is it to have straight run of pipe for the inlet. It is asking for about 10", while my old Hayward Super II only had about 3" of straight pipe before the pump.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

2. Back To Top    #2

My new Intelliflow is sitting in the garage ready to be installed also. If it needs 10 inches of straight run, it ain't going to get it.

I'm waiting to see what some of the answers are.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

3. Back To Top    #3
    Think outside the box. Do you have room for the current pipe to extend 30+ inches parrallel to the existing pump and then 90 back to the new pump with the 10". That will give you the length you need AND point the pump LED towards you. Or, do you have room to position the pump 90 degrees fom where it sits now? That will also work.

The 10" is ideal. Not mandatory but extremely ideal for any ump of 2".

Installation is not like your existing pump. It must be direct wired and there are code issues with the type of box you put on it for the connections. For programming, you can probably do it but you will have issues as the book is not going to address what you really need to know. Set up for ideal flow rates also takes a bit of math and turnover time calculations.

The filter needs cleaned as well prior to start up and you need to tell the pump that you did that. If you have solar or an in-floor system, it gets a bit more complicated. It is best to hire someone to do it if you want it done in one shot.

These are the main issues you will face.
    Authorized IntelliFlo Installer

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I re-did all the inlet piping to give me a nice straight run of 2" pipe. When the PB did the initial piping he did not do the best job. He has 3 lines all 1.5" that all tie together and fed into one 1.5" line that fed into the pump. I re-did it so each 1.5" now ties separately into the 2" line feeding the pump.

What special requirements are you talking about as far as the electrical box?

I already read about the filter issue in the manual, but that will be no problem.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kirbinster
    He has 3 lines all 1.5" that all tie together and fed into one 1.5" line that fed into the pump. I re-did it so each 1.5" now ties separately into the 2" line feeding the pump.

What special requirements are you talking about as far as the electrical box?

I already read about the filter issue in the manual, but that will be no problem.

My lines are tied in the same; three 1 1/2" lines to one 1 1/2" line to the pump. I'll be changing them in a couple of weeks. Now, on to the electrical box. Repair guy?
    I haven't even opened up the pump box to read the manual yet. I have to do that soon.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

6. Back To Top    #6
    I've seen all kinds of things on the box. A proper box in my area is a single gang box, not an entrance elbow as some are doing. You'll need a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer for the flex conduit to your source. I've seen some use the pigtail straight to the source box if they are close but that will pose a problem should the motor need pulled some day.
    Authorized IntelliFlo Installer

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. Inlet piping all finished. Electrical all reworked and hooked up. Still have to relocate filter and do outlet piping. Then wait for some decent weather to take cover off and fire here up.

8. Back To Top    #8

Fired it up today after a few problem with the theaded pvc coonector to the pump leaking. Re-piped it and she seems to run ok. This is going to take me a while to learn how this pump runs. I see a big difference in electric draw running at 40gpm rather than 50 gpm. Will have to play and learn.