Is this skimmer weird...or am I? (Both I'm guessing).

Mar 20, 2012
So I bought my house about a year ago - and just now have gotten around to addressing how it seems there is an object that should not be in the line that returns to my pump at the bottom of my skimmer. Before if ripped when I tried to pull it out it had a hayward v093c part number on it. A v093c actually does fit in the top cavity, if you put it in the v093c in UPSIDE DOWN!

Has anyone seen this before? Can i just take a hacksaw blade and carefully cut thru this guy so I can remove it? It is keeping me from being able to vacuum because the hole is smaller than a male hose adapter.

Please take pity on a father of 2 in his early 30's. And my birthday is tomorrow.

Attachments

• phpXAAskuPM.jpg
    phpXAAskuPM.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 235
The thought did cross my mind. I guess I had 2 things bothering me about that...

1. I forgot to mention the skimmer model - it's a hayward 1070. Looking at the specs it definitely seems the foreign object should not be there. I'm concerned about some minimal flow dampening and deterioration of this thing clogging/damaging my equipment(it was already chipped in a few places).
2. Looking at the plates it seems the minimum water level in my pool would need to be higher to use a plate vs. placing the hose directly into the skimmer plumbing. I live in sarasota, fl. The water drops in the winter - but I try not to waste water and add because in the spring and summer the rains replenish the lost water. That being said I would like to vacuum in the winter time when the water level is a little lower.

I dont have the same skimmer but I do have a Hayward with the same thing. My pool builder capped it from underneath and I would say if yours is capped on the top side, it wont be plummed into your system... I would leave it the way it is...

I am not familiar with your skimmer, but that piece looks to be a rubber collar, maybe for sealing to the vacuum line of a cleaner? I would remove it if comes out easily during normal pool operation.

See - that's what I think - but I can't find a hose that fits in it.

I tried taking it out, but it seems to be partially jammed/wedged against the lip of the skimmer bottom - that's why i was thinking of trying to *carefully* cut it top to bottom on both sides and pull it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
theneworchards said:
hmmmm....maybe this picture isn't that great.
The hole on the right IS capped from underneath.
The left one isn't capped - it goes back to the pump.

The hole on the right has that collar thing. The one on the left I can't make out what's in it - I think dirt and this is the one that is capped? It's the collar thing you want to remove right?

Alright - :party: :party: :party: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks to all for helping me follow my instincts to remove this stupid collar. It was super tedious, but now i can put the appropriate collar in there (which so happens to be the same hayward part # but completely different dimensionally (???)).

Anywhoo, all is well and I am super pysched and grateful!

Attachments

• phpXvn3SYPM.jpg
    phpXvn3SYPM.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 81

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.