Broken drain plug help

Anyone have any tricks fro removing a plastic threaded drain plug that the head broke off of? The plug on my Hayward chlorinator broke off at closing in the fall. :grrrr: Now I need to get the remaining portion of the plug out to install a new one. I tried drilling a hole in it and then tapping with a screw driver with no luck. Also tried sticking a pair of needle nose in the hole, opening and twisting. No luck either. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Did you just use a normal screw or a left handed one?

I would think it would come out fairly easy with an Easy Out which is threaded "backward" so that as you turn CCW, the bit tightens/grabs the stuck bolt/plug and hopefully breaks it loose. Since you already drilled a hole, you will want to use a similar sized Easy Out.

EDIT: Note sure how big it is but could you put 2 screws offset into the plug and then an adjustable wrench on both screws to get torque?

Rob621 said:
Anyone have any tricks fro removing a plastic threaded drain plug that the head broke off of? The plug on my Hayward chlorinator broke off at closing in the fall. :grrrr: Now I need to get the remaining portion of the plug out to install a new one. I tried drilling a hole in it and then tapping with a screw driver with no luck. Also tried sticking a pair of needle nose in the hole, opening and twisting. No luck either. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Maybe drill a series of holes on both sides of the hole you currently have. Drill the holes so they overlap the original hole so you sort of make a slot out of the holes. Place a flat blade screwdriver in the slot and turn.

Heat up the end of a flat blade screwdriver and push it into the plastic. Not so hot that it burns the plastic, but just hot enough to melt it enough to get the screwdriver in enough to get a good bite. Hold it there for about 60 seconds to allow it to cool down and then unscrew the plug.

JamesW said:
Heat up the end of a flat blade screwdriver and push it into the plastic. Not so hot that it burns the plastic, but just hot enough to melt it enough to get the screwdriver in enough to get a good bite. Hold it there for about 60 seconds to allow it to cool down and then unscrew the plug.
That's a slick idea...thanks for sharing it.

Also, if you do use the hot screwdriver technique, be careful not to get near the threads. Don't use a screwdriver that's too wide, and keep the blade in the center of the plug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.