Should I pass on the filter/pump in my pool package?

Mar 19, 2012
I'm buying a 27' pool at TGE and the pump/filter in the package is a Hayward Swimpro Voyager cartridge filter 150 FT, and a 2hp 2 speed swim pro pump that moves 120 GPM.
The salesman and I had a long conversation about the sizing of the pump to the filter and he said that I needed at least the 2hp pump.
Would I be better off buying these seperatly online? Most of their filters are packaged with pumps and cant be split up.
If so Would a 200ft cartrige filter and 1hp 2 speed be good for my 27' pool?

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Commonly (and mistakenly) salesmen oversell the size of the pump because it SEEMS to be a better deal. However, pumps are one of those things wherein bigger is not usually better.

The HP of the pump is also a little misleading. The Service Factor of the pump is more important and should be on the pump motor labeled "SF".

My somewhat experienced take is that you are absolutely on the right track and that bigger cartridge filter (with cartridge filters, bigger is ALWAYS better) combined with the 2 speed 1hp pump will be a very, very nice fit for your pool.

A 2-speed pump will really be a money saver for you so I would suggest it regardless of the horsepower you end up with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.