Is a SVRS Pump right for me?

Jun 29, 2011
Texas
I'm narrowing my VS pump down to the Intelliflo line, but am trying to decide between the three models. The VF and VS models seem to be a wash for my needs as I plan to get a controller and I don't mind working out the math to find the optimal settings.

However, with a 2 year old, is the SVRS a good idea? The pool is an older build, with a single main drain, and one skimmer. It also has an attached spa with the single drain in it.

We only recenlty purchased the home, and from what I can see, the drain covers also need to be replaced.

The ONLY downside I see in the SVRS for my setup is that I use a cleaner, and I have read that when they get to the water edge, they can cause the SVRS to keep kicking in.

Anyone have experience with a cleaner and SVRS? Is there a way to make the two work together?

When you say you use a cleaner, do you mean a suction side cleaner, pressure side cleaner, or robotic? Do you have a booster pump powering your cleaner?

Also, just to clarify what will cause the SVRS to kick in... (and info update after a phone call with Pentair)

If a cleaner passes over the single main drain, you will have both the drain and the cleaner sucking against each other. This will cause the SVRS to kick in and turn off the pump temporarily (default is 2 minutes). When a suction suction cleaner reaches the waterline, it will suck in air which can also cause the SVRS to kick in. If the pump shuts off 3 times, the entire system will not turn back on until the system is re-set.

For this reason, Pentair (and I) recommended a non-SVRS pump for your pool. Although SVRS is a great feature for commercial pools, it's sensitivity can cause a headache for residential applications.

For safety, I would recommend getting a drain cover if you don't already have one. Pentair makes some great drain covers that are compliant with the 2008 Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act.

blakej said:
Also, just to clarify what will cause the SVRS to kick in... (and info update after a phone call with Pentair)

If a cleaner passes over the single main drain, you will have both the drain and the cleaner sucking against each other. This will cause the SVRS to kick in and turn off the pump temporarily (default is 2 minutes). When a suction suction cleaner reaches the waterline, it will suck in air which can also cause the SVRS to kick in. If the pump shuts off 3 times, the entire system will not turn back on until the system is re-set.

For this reason, Pentair (and I) recommended a non-SVRS pump for your pool. Although SVRS is a great feature for commercial pools, it's sensitivity can cause a headache for residential applications.

For safety, I would recommend getting a drain cover if you don't already have one. Pentair makes some great drain covers that are compliant with the 2008 Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act.

Thanks. Yesterday I called Pentair also and spoke to ther tech department. They were very upfront and open with the suggestion I do NOT want an SVRS pump for my situation. They explained its extremely sensitive and if I try and do any auto-pool cleaner, I will ahve head aches. They did however recommend I change my drain covers in pool and spa.

I also have two older family pools with single main and skimmer and found out that I can easily control the amount of flow sent via either with a Jandy valve. When the Poolvergnuegen runs a cycle (IntelliFlow VF at 25 GPM) the flow is directed to the skimmer suction and when pump programming slows down to 15 GPM (shuts down IntelliChlor, Simpool) VF suction switched to 75% main drain and I have verified that the amount of suction is very gentle as it's only for gentle recirculation flow

I have a single main drain too (with an anti-entrapment cover). Normally, I close the valve to the main drain if I'm running my suction side cleaner. If I don't, the cleaner seems to more likely to get "stuck" on the drain, seemingly due to the drain and the cleaner drawing against each other. Not that it happens often either way but seems more common if the valve to the drain is open. I'm not worried about circulation issues since the cleaner is on the bottom drawing water up from there and its movement stirs the water a little.

>> If I don't, the cleaner seems to more likely to get "stuck" on the drain

I installed a very flat cover for the main drain and set the Jandy valve to "...move from main to skimmer.." to avoid this very issue. This way there is no danger to anyone in pool as they will not tangle with the gentle action of the Poolvergnuegen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.