40+ PSI

f_dupp

Jun 23, 2020
NJ
Trying to help a friend. I used to work on pools 20+ years ago, so I don't want to second guess her current pool guy. But he's telling her not to be concerned about a 50 psi on her Hayward sand filter, since it's new (1 year old). I looked at manufacturer specs, and it does say max PSI is 50, but that seems high to me. After backwash, it's still 40+.

I know this can be variable by pool set-up, but what do y'all think. Is that normal for a new filter? BTW, she's having major trouble getting pool clear. My expertise was generally more chemical than mechanical.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Confirmed. Gauge goes down to 30 when pump is turned off. Not sure why her pool guy didn't tell her that, rather than tell her it's a new filter and not to worry about it. Maybe he's the one that broke the gauge. Haha.

Anyway, first post here. Appreciate all the help.

Reactions: JamesW
Confirmed. Gauge goes down to 30 when pump is turned off. Not sure why her pool guy didn't tell her that, rather than tell her it's a new filter and not to worry about it. Maybe he's the one that broke the gauge. Haha.

One thing to be aware of -- you can't just say the gauge is off by 30 psi and do simple arithmetic. It's completely unreliable now. Fortunately, changing it is not significantly harder than replacing a light bulb.

Reactions: f_dupp
Pool guys and pool store workers are at best a crapshoot. Some know their stuff, but some are clueless. If you don’t at least understand the basics, or have some TFP friends who do, you can’t tell. TFP is priceless even if you just use it to keep an eye on pool workers you hire.

Reactions: wireform

All the above but will add: use some Teflon tape on the threads and do not use any liquidy pastes/thread sealers as that will give you a false feel for "enough tightening" and you can easily crack the plastic threaded port. Go it with feel and stop. If it leaks when the pumps running give it another turn.

Reactions: f_dupp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.