Hardness still high after drain

maxepr1

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2011
DFW
I've always had this problem since filling, this year I thought I would try to hit this hard right away. I drained a little less than half (12978gals) this weekend and refilled. I went from the 500's to now 400 exact! Still not happy with that number. My tap water is 160, pretty hard! What kind of problems am I going to experience leaving at 400? Not sure I really want to drain the whole pool. I ordered a complete refill kit from Dave, but I don't think the kit is the problem. I have always hard a hardness problem in my house.

My pool CH has never gotten close to 400 in two years I've been testing. You're lucky.

You need to stay on top of pH, lots of acid. If you keep pushing pH down, TA will eventually lower, or you may need to aggressively work to reduce it to keep the CSI neutral.

It's do-able. I've been doing it. Heck, I'm actually dissolving scale despite CH in the 700 range.

I've got the same problem. It seems the recent rains are not helping as much as I thought they would. The rains are causing my salt to go to around 2,800 from about 3,400 (now for the second time in a month), but my CH remains in the 450-500 range. My fill water is 150 and I've only had to top up my pool once (probably with about 1/2 inch of water) in the last 4 months. My plaster is now about 15 months old so maybe it's still curing.

I just keep an eye on my CSI and try to keep it slightly negative. Except for the white spot etching that has been discussed before, my water and plaster look fine.

Wow, 700 hundred! Richard you got you hands full there! I built a acid dosing set-up last year which keeps it in check(7.4 right now). My TA is 90 now but during the swim season this is what I chase! Aeration then acid aeration then acid, you get it. My wife is always complaining of the water spots in the shower stall, I can't imagine what 700 is like! Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.