most bang for the buck(chlorine)

buzzbait00 said:
Yeah! Thats it.Thanks.I need to shock the bjesus out o my swamp and I need CYA so im thinking of going with pucks.
Pucks don't dissolve very fast.

I see no problem with filling a floater with enough pucks to raise CYA, but you'll still need to add some bleach or Cal-hypo to raise the FC fast enough to get ahead of the algae. Bleach would be best, as it doesn't add any extra Calcium.

Or, if you are low on CH, or not so high that it matters, you could consider cal-hypo. In the big buckets it is cheaper than bleach and you can shock the heck out of the pool really fast. I like to keep it on hand because it stores so well. When you need to shock, sometimes the amount of bleach you need can be a problem to get a hold of fast and at a good price. But if you have a pool store that has 12% bleach that may be even better overall.

The linked post by ChemGeek is a very interesting comparison of costs; but it is a four year old thread. Obviously prices have changed since then, but does 6% bleach still work out to be the most cost effective?

I use to find 6% on sale all the time for. 99 a regular bottle. Now its usually $1.79. At the local piggly wiggly they will only.sell me 4 bottles at a time because i might be making crystal meth with it :) that 1lb@$3.24 for cal-hypo is just the price at the closest place. Bet i could beat it if i looked around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.