My SWG POOL IS READ FOR SUMMER. IS YOURS?

iggy

Jan 24, 2008
The Cool Part of Arizona
8) Hi everyone!
Now that spring is here I went out and checked my pool and have the water sampled at a local Leslie's pool store.
All they said was 1 cup of acid and that my chlorine was low.
Well I figured that was what they would say.

I have kept my Goldline SWG down to 30% and run time for about 4 hours in the morning. It is producing just enough chlorine to keep me going until swim season. I think I may keep the 30% setting and just increase run time as we get closer to swin season.
Presently I only have 1 ppm of FC and 1 TC. My CSI is still running high around 80+.
Ph is 7.8 and Alk is 110.
CA is 250 on the money.

Water is clear but I do have some seeds and junk floating around.

Water temp is running just shy of 70 degrees with hopes a few days in the 80's will make it just right.
Pictures will follow on our first swim day.

Iggy in the warm part of Arizona :lol: 8) :lol:

My pool's been in the 70's for the past week and I haven't had the heater on for a few months! That's why I love living in Florida, we can use our pools year round!

We've been ready for the past couple of months and have been watching the temps closely. It finally reached up to 74 this weekend and I'm ready to take the plunge. But, looking at the kids' expressions coming out (and very short stay in), I figure it needs to hit the 80's before jumping in. Please, please, please give us a week of steady sun 8)

I hate to one up WaterBear because he is loved so much.............but in Miami since Thanksgiving my pool has been between 84-88 deg for the exception of two cold fronts that knocked down my temps to 78 for a total of 8 days. (Solar heat)

We have had a very warm winter and I hope I did not get spoiled for future winters.

speaking of SWG, i saw one at warehouse pool supply that caught my attention. i cant seem to find one on the internet that is like it, but it was a floating chlorine dispenser, a floating salt water generator that is... it said it can handle up to 20k gallon pool and supply you with enough chlorine for every day, even on cloudy days.

im sure after a bather load you would have to add some liquid chlorine to make sure a bloom doesnt get created, but it seemed like a viable alternative to the normal generators seeing as it was $500.

what do you guys think?

IkeRay said:
speaking of SWG, i saw one at warehouse pool supply that caught my attention. i cant seem to find one on the internet that is like it, but it was a floating chlorine dispenser, a floating salt water generator that is... it said it can handle up to 20k gallon pool and supply you with enough chlorine for every day, even on cloudy days.

im sure after a bather load you would have to add some liquid chlorine to make sure a bloom doesnt get created, but it seemed like a viable alternative to the normal generators seeing as it was $500.

what do you guys think?

If you are talking about SWG powered by solar energy, which floats around the pool, i think it has been discussed here before. General conclusion was - there is no way it can produce enough energy from sun to provide the necessary amount of chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Strannik said:
If you are talking about SWG powered by solar energy, which floats around the pool, i think it has been discussed here before. General conclusion was - there is no way it can produce enough energy from sun to provide the necessary amount of chlorine.

cool, sorry for the hijack.

pool looks nice, hope you are enjoying the southern swimming season :).

JCJR said:
Actually the day it snowed in Miami was in 77'. I remember that day, the snow lasted about 2 hours it all melted by noon.
In the Gables it was there on the ground until about 3 pm! I was home from U of FL for Xmas break. I did a little checking on the net and it was on Jan 19, 1977 which was just 3 months before I graduated (March '77).

Why yes, my pool IS ready :) , but I checked my 10-day forecast and Mesa is going to be about 1 degree colder than Surprise for the next 5 days so you have me beat :( Usually when the water temp is below about 55 degrees, I shut off the SWG and just run a floater with Tri-chlor for the winter. I usually need a little boost in the CYA by the end of swim season, and the trichlor pretty much eliminates the need to add acid over the winter. A couple weeks ago I started testing the water much more systematically again (also got a Aquavizor too, for a great price on clearance at Leslies :) but that's a topic for a different thread) I cleaned my cartridges, brought the salt up to 3200-3300, cleaned a little calcium from the Autopilot cell, put the Trichlor floater away. and fired up the SWG. Since I was still a bit below the recommended CYA for the Autopilot, I added a bag of the Salt Water Magic Start up mix (also on sale dirt cheap in the clearance area at Leslies) The start-up mix has CYA, sequestering agent, phosphate reducer and BORATES. So far, this stuff has really locked in the pH and reduced the amount of acid I need to add dramatically. Now I just need to get up on the roof and give the solar panels a quick check for any maintenance needed to ensure a nice warm spring swim season. BTW, my pool did hit 70 yesterday, without the solar. I'll start the solar this morning and see if I can get 80 by the middle of next week :)

Luke warm yet?

cwstnsko

My pool is definitely in the 70's now that we had a few days in the 80's.
I have my pool blanket on to reduce the evaporation and maybe retail the heat a little long at night.

1 degree difference from Mesa to Surprise is no big deal in the dessert. lol
I thought I was in the cool part of Arizona. LOL :roll:

What is your maximum temp you reach during the summer. This will be the first year with my pool and just wondered.
I suspect you filter in the early morning with the waterfall on?

Any suggestion for the new guy would be greatly appreciated.

Iggy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.