Pre-Dissolve the CYA?

Patrick_B

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2011
Midland TX
I'm a little way out from setup yet, but I was thinking of pre-dissolving my CYA in a vented 5 gallon pail prior to setup. Then when the time comes, I just add it and have instant CYA level without having to add it in a sock or whatever. Anyone see a problem doing this? I've thought about handling hazards and I have that covered on the PPE and experience end. I'll only need about 23 Oz BTW.

I used the last of my few remaining pucks last year and don't plan on buying more in bulk ever again.

It is very very difficult to pre-dissolve CYA, and not worth the effort to try unless you are really into chemistry experiments.

Open yourself to the Zen of pool maintenance and let things take the amount of time they take :)

Unfortunately, thut much cya doesnt dissolve in such a small volume of water. I let about 10 oz of granular cya soak in 5 gallons of water for a week. It did soften it up a bit, but still solid. i then ran it into my de filter via the skimmer. I did that a few times to get my cya up. No fumes while soaking from what i could tell.

JasonLion said:
It is very very difficult to pre-dissolve CYA, and not worth the effort to try unless you are really into chemistry experiments.

Open yourself to the Zen of pool maintenance and let things take the amount of time they take :)

I hear ya....Owwwwwommmmmmmmmm. :cyclopsani: :mrgreen:

I tried dissolving it once. That was a huge waste of time and effort!

Coincidentally, I just got done putting 8 lbs in socks in front of my returns. :) Hopefully it'll be dissolved by swim season ;)

I have mine hanging in front of the returns via a small rope tied to chairs on each side of the pool.

The problem with using the skimmer is if you have to backflush before it's 100% dissolved, you'll backwash the CYA back out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well, it is still in a sock, not flushed down the skimmer pipe into the filter.
Partly correct. The concentration of CYA from the sock will still be pulled into the filter and out through the backwash so you will loose more than I would care to if it were my money.

If you want to use the skimmer and need to backwash, simply remove the CYA filled sock from the skimmer and put it in a bucket until your backwash is complete, then return it to the skimmer.

I have no experience what will happen when using a sock in the skimmer, but just adding a pound of CYA to my skimmer without a sock drove up my PSI. And I have a big filter.

The instructions on mine say to add to the skimmer, but it's good to ask, the instructions on pool supplies aren't always safe. :)

When I add CYA I typically put it into an old T-shirt and put that in the skimmer. For me, it's easier than a sock hanging over a return. I have a cartridge filter, however, so no need to worry about any loss from backwashing. The CYA usually dissolves within a day with this method though if I need to add a lot of CYA then I need to split up the dosing or else there is too little flow in the skimmer. Note that I also have floor drains and also a skimmer bypass (is that what it's called -- the outlet below the skimmer that takes in water when the skimmer gets clogged?) so can't stop suction to cause any damage.

chem geek said:
When I add CYA I typically put it into an old T-shirt and put that in the skimmer. For me, it's easier than a sock hanging over a return. I have a cartridge filter, however, so no need to worry about any loss from backwashing. The CYA usually dissolves within a day with this method though if I need to add a lot of CYA then I need to split up the dosing or else there is too little flow in the skimmer. Note that I also have floor drains and also a skimmer bypass (is that what it's called -- the outlet below the skimmer that takes in water when the skimmer gets clogged?) so can't stop suction to cause any damage.

equalizer line, in case your skimmer gets clogged but more so in case your water level drops too low for the skimmer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.