Would a large cartridge filter work with commercial pool?

Aquatica

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2010
Nassau, Bahamas
I'm now thinking my recommendation of a Pentair Triton 2 sand filter was not the best for a 50,000 swg pool as there will be backwashing and loss of salt and cya.

Maybe a Hayward SwimClear Cartridge 525 sq. ft. Pool Filter - C5030 would be better? I know cleaning these monsters is a pain.

This pool is not far from the beach so some sand gets into the pool.

Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Would a large cartridge filter work with commercial pool

No "expert" advice but common sense tells me the bigger the pool, the more likely a sand filter. The cost of a huge cartridge plus the physical demands of removing and cleaning it may exceed the water and chemistry lost to backwash.

Probably not even worth .02 cents but just food for thought.

I would think that sand we be the way to go too. I can't imagine cleaning cartridges for a 50K gallon pool.

Ok, I am going to buck the trend here a little. A 525-sqft cartridge filter for a 50k pool exceeds NSF/ANSI 50 minimum requirements by 40%. So unless the pool gets really dirty really fast, you probably will be able to get away with once a year cleaning or at most twice a year cleaning. Add to that the Salt and CYA issue, I think it might not be a bad decision.

Also, I clean my filter once a year and it really isn't that bad. I can usually clean each of the four filters in 10 minutes so less than an hour total.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Mark that's what I was thinking. We could use a cartridge with this pool. We have one of these large filters in a 25,000 gallon pool since Dec last year and the pressure gauge has stayed at 10 p.s.i. haven't had to clean it yet but did right after the resurfacing. took sometime to clean it but I think with the help of a blaster 3000 cartridge cleaner it might speed things up.

I had an idea with the removal of water from one of these large cartridge filters which is necessarily to do before cleaning. There is quite a bit of water that comes out of these large filters.

to save water, cya, salt and ch could we just attach a hose to the drain valve and run it back to the pool?

An other option is to just open the bleeder valve and most of the water will get siphoned out of the return port. It takes a lot longer, although if you open the pump lid, it will siphon much faster. You should be able to get most of the water out this way.

mas985 said:
An other option is to just open the bleeder valve and most of the water will get siphoned out of the return port. It takes a lot longer, although if you open the pump lid, it will siphon much faster. You should be able to get most of the water out this way.

Thanks Mark. I was thinking the water might be dirty coming out of the drain. maybe the bleeder valve would be better..

Code:
Ok, I am going to buck the trend here a little. A 525-sqft cartridge filter for a 50k pool exceeds NSF/ANSI 50 minimum requirements by 40%. So unless the pool gets really dirty really fast, you probably will be able to get away with once a year cleaning or at most twice a year cleaning. Add to that the Salt and CYA issue, I think it might not be a bad decision.

Also, I clean my filter once a year and it really isn't that bad. I can usually clean each of the four filters in 10 minutes so less than an hour total.

A lot of this will depend not only so much on the gallonage of the pool but also the bather load. A home pool @ 50,000 gallons with a family of 4 using it several times a week is a lot different than a 50,000 gallon public or commercial pool with 75, 100, 200 bathers per day. If you want to cut down on the back washing of your sand tanks and save water, chemicals, etc. you may want to consider looking the MultiCyclone from Waterco (disclaimer: I'm a distributor for Waterco). It has been third party tested to cut down on backwashing quite a bit. There is a small past thread on TFP about it: waterco-multicyclone-centrifugal-filter-t28631.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.